Son of Ampzilla

Daddy Dee

"I doubt they stand up well to today's better amps"

If you freshen up the caps and it works OK, I doubt many of today's better amps will sound better.

Contact burned fingers (Joe) and have him go through it. I can provide him with the special bias IC if he needs it (we live in the same city).

Joe used to build a 600W per channel amp that the drive circuit looks just about like the Son of Ampzilla. I used Borbery boards for the prototype (Joe still has one on his sub IIRC), then Joe had new custom boards made that hold twelve outputs!

Old amps fail for various reasons, but they can be re-furbished to be even better than new.

"I doubt they stand up well to today's better amps"

If you freshen up the caps and it works OK, I doubt many of today's better amps will sound better.

Contact burned fingers (Joe) and have him go through it. I can provide him with the special bias IC if he needs it (we live in the same city).

Joe used to build a 600W per channel amp that the drive circuit looks just about like the Son of Ampzilla. I used Borbery boards for the prototype (Joe still has one on his sub IIRC), then Joe had new custom boards made that hold twelve outputs!

Old amps fail for various reasons, but they can be re-furbished to be even better than new.

djk,

Thanks so much. I'm going to give Joe a call tonight.

Mine lasted about five years before sending DC straight into my Advents. Keep a fire extinguisher close by, because when it happened -- the woofers caught on fire.

Back in the 1970's, I was playing my guitar through another high-powered kit of that era, the SWTPC amp (Southwest Technical Products Corp out of Texas). At some point my sound started breaking up and I turned around to see clouds of thick smoke billowing out of the amp. A few days later, I hooked up my speaker cabinets to a different amp and one of the cabs was totally silent. I pulled the speaker (a heavy-duty Electro-Voice SRO 12) and pushed on the cone--it didn't move at all! Apparently the voice coil had melted and welded the cone in place. I sent it back to Electro-Voice and they rebuilt it to good as new--no charge! They even paid the return shipping! Those were the days...