Just got some RF-7s!

onthefenceman

I just snagged a nice set of RF-7s on CL - they're in beautiful shape, and more importantly, sound GREAT!

I'm currently running them with wire jumpers - anyone running these have a strong preference for true bi-wiring?

Also, these will see 50/50 duty for music/HT - what's the need for a subwoofer?  The bass seems generous, but what about the bottom octave?  I'm a little concerned that anything short of a HUGE sub will be overpowered.

Any input appreciated!

Congrats, Very Fine Speakers!

I bi-wire/amp my RF-7's. I could tell a difference in that these speakers have pretty big OHM dips and that seemed to help substantially. As far as the sub goes...well...these guys dig deep themselves. How big is your listening room (volume of space). You may not need a huge sub in my opinion, you may just opt for a GOOD sub.

I say this because I have three subs in my system of which none are great and none are bad. However there have been times when I was listening to two channel music and had to check to see if my subs were on, which they were not.

Experiment with speaker placement. Mine are positioned about 18" from the wall. Finding the perfect placement in your room will help tremendiously with your bass responce!

Now go enjoy![H]

My experimenting nearly got me thrown out of my apartment this week...  The RF-7s are seriously powerful.  I threw a clean 300 WPC from a McIntosh amp at them and they didn't flinch.  As a matter of fact, the Mac flinched and started blinking the clipping lamps.  That's when the neighbors started calling.

Heavy gauge cable with jumpers seems to be OK for now, but I have a solid soldering iron and lots of bulk cable.  Maybe I'll make up a set of nice bi-wire cables on a rainy day.

I'm impressed by the bass performance, but listening until now has mostly been music.  Still very impressive at this price point.... 

300 WPC into RF'7s, thats what I call serious listening! Obviously the neighbors weren't calling you since you couldn't hear the phone ring.

I don't use my sub when listening to 2 channel music with my RF-7's but with HT a sub is really makes the explosions and other sound effects come to life. You know what I am talking about it's like pumping 300 WPC into RF-7's. BTW my sub almost got me thrown out of the house by my wife.