Heresy+KG4+?+?+?=$1,000 System

Durocdog

I would love to use my existing Heresy's and KG4's in a Home Theater Surround soundset up, but want to spend no more than about $1,000 to augment/complete. My audio receiver is a JVC RX-8000V. If this isn't possible or doesn't make sense (cents), I need to know that as well.

------------------

David

Hi David - Wonder why no one responded to your post??

Anyhow, your speakers will make a great HT setup. Play with the KG4 and the Heresy to see which you prefer for your mains. I think the KG4s will give you more bass, but of course the Heresy's will be cleaner mids/uppers. If you add a sub to the setup, use the Heresy's for mains and the KG4s for great rears. Your choice of center will depend on what you end up with for mains. If you use KG4 mains, get a KV-3 (used) center (probably about $200). If you use the Heresy's, try to find a single Heresy (or a cheap pair) and use one for a center or get a KLF-C7 (used).

Don't know anything about your receiver. Is it Dolby Digital capable? If not, pick up a mid-range receiver from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc... Some of the recently discontinued models are great values. Plus, you'll need a DVD player. There is another thread in this forum about a good model for about $230 (I forget the make.)

If your budget is squeezed, skip a center channel speaker for now and use the "phantom" mode of your HT receiver to simulate a center channel. That will work fine until you save up for it.

I think you can get a sub, receiver, and a DVD player for close to $1000.

Doug

------------------

My System

I agree with Doug. It really is a toss up between the two. I would used whichever pair you can get a matching center for. The timber match of the front speakers (or lack thereof) will greatly affect the front soundstage. The front soundstage is most important for both movies and music.

In example. I started out my HT system with the complete R*-3 series. I replaced the RF-3's with Cornwalls, a couple of months laters I relpaced the RS-3's with Heresy's. The system sounded great but I knew that something was not quite right. I played around with the receiver settings and speaker placement and got it sounding better. Just recently I have finally replaced the RC-3 with a HIP (Heresy Pro). The difference is amazing. I mean I knew about the whole timbre matching idea but my god I didn't think it made all that much of a difference. It does. If I had the chance for a "do over" I would have replaced the center channel long before the surrounds.

Bottom line the matching the center channel is most important and either of the two are close enough to the other for surrounds. There are several subwooofers that can be had for a decent price. Go over to the Subwoofer section and take a look.

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Well. I finally got back to this site to read the two responses.

Ley me fill you in on a couple of things that may make a difference -

The receiver is Dolby Digital and DTS. I do not want to change this component and I do not need a DVD player. I'm looking to augment or replace speakers only.

Now, that being said, in the newspaper today, there is an add for a complete Klipsch HT setup consisiting of center, sub, surrounds and mains. The actual models are difficult to tell from the photo but hte description is -

MAINS - 2 floor standing speakers with 6 1/2" woofers

SUB - 10" 225 Watt

SURROUNDS - 2 way surrounds

no description given for center

all for $1,299

I wouldn't buy these from this retailer only because I believe I can get it less elsewhere, plus I would sell the Heresy's and the KG4's to offset the cost and have what may be a better matched set up than attempting to make the H's and K's work by "adding to".

What do you think?

------------------

David

I would never part with my Heresys. I was in a similiar dilemma a few years ago. I thought it was time to upgrade my system to HT. I have had my Heresys for over 19 years. They were purchased slightly used. After I upgrade my receiver to a Denon AVR 3300, I then started pursuing the purchase of my up to date speakers. In trying to find out the value of my speakers, I stumbled on to this bulletin board.

To my surprise I found that I had the right speakers all I need was to augment. One of the problems is finding the right match for center and surrounds. I was fortunate in that I started my search early. Although I do not have the recommended match, my center is a RC-3 and my surrounds or KSP-6s. The only source is Ebay or the like. I still believe I have a very satisfying sounding systems both for movies and music. Unfortunately, the KSP-6 have been discontinued. The only source is Ebay or the like.

This note will probably cause you more confusion than help, but the point I make is do not do anything drastic until you have had an opportunity to hear what you are buying and compare what you already have. I do not think you will find anything, aside from other heritage speakers, to equal your Heresy's in the price range you have set out for yourself.

------------------

Bill J.

-----

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

This message has been edited by willjam on 01-13-2002 at 11:49 PM

David -

I would not get rid of your Heresy's or KG4's. I would search eBay for a pair of used Heresy's (~$350). This would give you a front and rear center speaker (still using the KG4's as rear surrounds) and then spend the rest on an SVS Subwoofer. This will give you an awesome sounding system that is right in your price range.

I you like the way the the KG4's and Heresy's sound I think that you will be disappointed with any other newer speakers other than the RF-5's or 7's.

Just my 0.02

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page