Dual 1257 and cart update

Chicago_Pete

The plot thickens guys.

I ordered the Shure M97XE and received it the very next afternoon. Hats off to Amazon.

Dont have a clue as to what it sounds like but the packaging is pretty slick for a $60 cart, metal case, screwdriver and stylus brush.

Well, the Dual 1257 is not a standard 1/2" mount. I called a Dual expert joint in NY and apparently the 1257 uses a ULM mount? They sell an adapter for $39 but are out of stock with no knowledge if ever they will get them again.

I then called the guy that I bought the 1257 from and asked if he had another Dual for sale?

Tomorrow I am getting a brand new in the box Dual 1214. Im guessing its a low end table, buy its still new!

He also told me just to keep the 1257 for the hassle, pretty nice guy eh?

Anybody local want a 1257 for a couple of rock LPs, some cheap beer?:) 

I really dont want to ship it but I guess I can since I have the box for it.

Pete

Pete i just took a look at my 1257 and the mounting adaptor looks pretty simple and could be made very easily. Sorry but i did'nt realise earlier that mine had been adapted, it came to me that way. The 1257 is a half decent table and if it were me i'd be inclined to stick with it rather than the 1214.

It sounded muted and muddy but I was using it on a preamp that had "issues" so I'm not sure that it was the cartridge. I've got a new McIntosh C2200 coming next week and I'll try the Dynavector 20XH with that preamp. If it's NG, I'm going to try a MM cartridge and the M97XE seems highly recommended. Any other MM recommendations?

It sounded muted and muddy but I was using it on a preamp that had "issues" so I'm not sure that it was the cartridge. I've got a new McIntosh MC2200 coming next week and I'll try the Dynavector 20XH with that pre. If it's NG, I'm going to try a MM cartridge and the M97XE seems highly recommended. Any other MM recommendations?

The 20XH is pretty high output already isn't it(that's what the H is for)? Sure you don't have a 20XL?

I use a 20XH on my Linn. It's been wonderful for me.