Humidifiers

jcmusic

I use a whole-house humidifier on a forced-air gas furnace, to keep the humidity up and control static (and make my skin feel less prickly!). It's not that dry yet this season, but getting close. Boiling water or running a shower w/hot water seems to be a fair temporary measure.

You can use a Zerostat on each LP to reduce it, but it's an uphill trudge doing it one record at a time if you have low humidity.

Cleaning your records, by washing them (mild soap & very lukewarm water, extremely soft paper towels run with the grooves to dry) or running them through a record cleaning machine like a VPI or Nitty Gritty, can noticeably reduce static on cleaned/washed LPs.

A sneaky source of vinyl static on a belt-driven turntable with an acrylic platter is friction between the belt and the platter. It can build up a lot of static on the platter that transfers to the LPs. The cure is talcum powder (heads up, Fini!!) -- put the belt and a small amount of talcum in a gallon plastic baggie, seal and shake it around. I suggest using cotton gloves to keep finger oil off the belt. Use a damp paper towel to wipe up powder on the platter, plinth, etc. This process is good for months in my experience.

Larry