2 Klipsch questions:

slammy77

I have a Sony 5.1 surround receiver (100 peak watts per channel). I have 5 sattelite speakers that came with my receiver 6 years ago. I have a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer. My room is 17' x 18'. Here are my potential plans for upgrade in descending order of approximate cost to me:

Plan A: RC-52, RB-51 fronts, RS-42 surrounds, RPW-10 sub ($980)

Plan B: RC-52, RB-51 fronts, RS-42 surrounds, KSW-10 sub ($850)

Plan C: RC-52, RSX-4 fronts, RSX-4 surrounds, KSW-10 sub ($670)

Plan D: 5 RSX-4s and KSW-10 sub ($540)

2 Questions:

Are the RB-51s and RS-42s head and shoulders better than the RSX-4s as a front and surround package?

Is the RPW-10 head and shoulders better than the KSW-10?

If you time it right, you could get a Sub-12 from Best Buy for much less than $500. The lowest I've ever seen it on sale for was $350, which I believe would fit into your budget. If you could at all manage the Sub-12, I would highly highly recommend going that route.

As far as the RB/RS vs the RSX - yes, it is a very significant improvement.

If you were looking to save some money, you could probably get away with RC-52 and RB-51 across the front and then RSX-4 for surrounds. I would go this route with the Sub-12 over any of the other plans you mentioned.

Also, are you looking to make a one time purchase and never upgrade in the future? One thing you might consider would be making a goal for where you want to be in the future and then purchase more slowly towards that goal. If you've got any old speakers laying around, you could use them for surrounds until funds replenish and then you can always upgrade later on.