Heresy crossovers

kg4guy

Interesting schematic. It seems to show a lot of attenuation.

It is my recall that PWK once set up center channel H with the same attenuation in the crossover as a K-Horn and used it as a center channel. (Not as with the hand drawn schematic.) I suppose it would be like an A or the earlier 500-5000 (?).

This means that the mid was about 3 dB down and the tweeter and woofer were not attenuated.

The H woofer was allowed to do what it could but was not putting out a level equivalent to the K-Horns in the bass.

That would in in theory be a violation of PWK's principles with a caveat. The caveat is that the center channel is usually getting -6 dB from the flanking units and so the direct bass sealled box radiator is not getting pushed too much.

I take it that thinking on this progressed. For a while, a CW was a suggested center channel. You can find a review of the CW (then called a CWII) on the main Klipsch site, where it is used as a center as well as the main 2 channel. Still later, the Belle was considered the ultimate.

Gil

Type C networks were use in early H700s. They had a 1 uF cap feeding the autotransformer and used a different tap than the Type E network. I don't recall if there is a phase difference in the hookup of any of the woofer, squawker or tweeter. Type C is the proper match for the woofers used in the early H700s. Type D or E is the proper match for the woofers used in the later Heresys.