Tent Sale JBL 4648 pics

TBrennan

Here's a couple a pics of my JBL 4648 bassbin that arrived yesterday, another should arrive in a couple of days. Half-space the f3 is 45 cycles, placed quarter space like this and with the EQ in the Parts Express plateamp I'm using I figure it's strong to 30. This thing is very strong and clean, really hits hard too, great transients. Only $220 from JBL and they pay the shipping, such a deal. Hell, the 2226 woofers used sell for $300 each at Parts Express. You guys get over to the JBL Pro site before these things are gone, they only had about 500 for sale.

looks like you have invested quite a bit of money there Smile.gif

is that the arm of a couch in the first pic? i think i have that very same couch Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Mdeneen---LOL. Yeah, I used it to fix that old beater 802 next to the hammer. :-) Seriously, it took a 36" pipe wrench to loosen the 1" to 2" adaptors on those JBL 2427s atop the 4846. Aluminum female + steel male = galling. I got those drivers for $70 each at the tent-sale, $300 each at Parts Express. :-)

Tom,

Nice VOT replicas.The JBL subs should help with the low end.WIth two of these bass bins you should have what it takes to play at live levels with no stress!

Very nice speakers.I wish I had somespace left,I almost purchased home made replicas of the Altec VOT.

These are big and need only a few quality watts to restart a heart if it fails. Wink.gif

Serious speakers you have.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Those look pretty impressive and seem to be a GREAT deal! Would you recommend those as subs for Khorns, and if so, how many as a minimum? I'm not as familiar with JBL as I am with Klipsch. I had been thinking about building my own subs using some of those 18" JBL's, but these are already in a cabinet and are a great deal if they will work in my application.

JMON---I hesitate to recommend these as subs, I think of them more as very powerful woofers. I'm not sure the 4648 is more extended then a Khorn. The efficiency of the 4648 is 100db so a pair would be 106 (or is that 103, I always get confused on this) so the efficiency would match-up and 4 2226s will certainly move lots of air. Placed on a wall with room-lift they should get down to 35 strong but that's really not modern good subwoofer territory. DJK says the 4648 can be retuned to 30hz from the current 40hz and run in a ESB shelf alingment with a little EQ and be strong down to 30, again pretty low but not as low as the best subs. Maybe DJK will pipe in, he's very astute. In my case my VOT cabinets are weak below 100 hz so the 4648s are a very useful augmentation, I'm not sure how much they'd help a Khorn. I don't think a pair of 4648s will hold a Khorn back though. You could buy a pair and if it doesn't work out sell the 2226s for $200 each on ebay and use the boxes for doghouses, you can't lose.

TheEAR:

"Very nice speakers.I wish I had somespace left,I almost purchased home made replicas of the Altec VOT.

These are big and need only a few quality watts to restart a heart if it fails."

I'm certainly not trying to give you a hard time, but do you think a few quality watts might do the trick here?

I agree, no need for those 200+wpc Krell monsters Smile.gif

------------------

Ed W

Ed W,

I never said I prefer the fridge sized VOT and bass bins to my Dynaudio Contours and real amplifiers like Krell and Celeste.

Would you say Krell and Celeste are not quality watts?

Maybe not to those who like sugar coating of tubes. Wink.gif

I heard VOT's many times ranging from Sansui SS amps to high end Cary tube single ended wonders.I sill prefer the sound of my system.

Not to take anything away from large horns.

In the end its what makes the owner happy,not what some may think of it.For me its BIG POWER SS amps with mid sized to large speakers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey theears,

I just had to get a jab in at 'cha!

I just enjoyed reading your statement:

"...need only a few quality watts to restart a heart if it fails." But it is important to have the speakers that can be driven by a few watts (1 watt?).

I believe the Klipsch Heritage speakers are the ones best suited to the flea powered tube amps, not the Reference series. I also can't imagine using low powered tube amps for HT either...

I too have/had some higher powered SS amps that I loved with my newer and vintage Klipsch(es).

------------------

Ed W

Thanks for the info! After taking a look at the JBL site, I saw that they may not be the best for subwoofers. I'm not really looking to extend the bass of the Khorns. I'm really looking for a sub for home theater use for the dedicated LFE channel. Still, the price is very tempting...

Mac---That's right, $220 and free shipping, too good to be true but it is. I have the 8 ohm versions, the 4648A-8. I ordered one on 12-21 and it arrived 12-31. The one I ordered on 12-17 got lost in shipping, Margaret at JBL tracked it down and it arrived today. Lots of the hornies I know have been taking advantage of the outrageous deals on the tent-sale.