RF-7s with HK AVR-630 or Marantz SR-8400

maseline_98

I was wondering which receiver I should use. the HK is rated at 75wpc and the marantz is rated at 110 wpc. the Marantz sounds great for movies, but doesn't seem to be bring enough bass for music(though the highs are crystal clear). As far as I've read the wattage isn't a huge issue because the RF-7s are extremely efficent and don't need a lot to push them. Do you think I should try out the HK(my main concern is laziness cuz it takes about 6 hours to unhook and hook it back up...because of the way the wires are binded together).

I hear alot of people on this site say that 200wpc is the magic number for the RF-7's. If you can afford it (or ebay), the best way to go would be seperate amp/pre amp or a high(er)-quality receiver. I'm not trying to bash your receiver selection, but you won't be using the full potential of the RF-7's with either of those.

Good luck.

With 7's quality watts are important but quantity is also very important.The 7's can be very happy w/the 630(I had a 630 and 635),HK is my favorite avr unless you spend big bucks.HK was the only avr other than a Rotel 1056 that I could have kept,I had many.The Denon(Marantz same company) 38xx models I owned w/more claimed power never sounded as good,imo.Of course it's always best to try yourself,even if it takes days/weeks/years.

Well...both receiver I got for a bargain(Marantz for $550 on ubid about 2.5 years ago and the HK for $130 open box from circuit city-->yeah..couldn't believe had to buy even though I didn't need it-->it does have a scratch on the side though).

One of these days, I'm going to break down get me a rotel RB-1080 and a new Receiver that does HDMI 1.3a, but I'm waiting until prices come down....I'm a bargin buyer(some might call me cheap, but I call it smart). Plus, It was hard enough convincing my finance' to let me get the RF-7 package as it was...lol....but we came to an understanding...

Overall, I'm just trying to get the most of out my RF-7...will be doing the Dean mod before I buy anymore equipment though.

Oh...and bhenry...I didn't take it as a bash, I took it as constructive critism, which is why I posted the question...

I bought the same 8400 at ubid. I have a crown 402 two channel amp running with my 8400 and I have been VERY happy with the combo now for over two years. I have listened to them with just the Marantz but the quality is much better with the crown in the setup. Let me know if you have any other questions! Chad