Status of Custom 3

Professor Thump

I know many Klipsch fans at our forum are anxiously waiting for the release date of Custom 3 personal monitors. I realize it is frustrating not being able to purchase them when the entire line is announced but some models are more complicated than others to create, and Custom 3 is no exception. We have been very busy studying the IEM market and have done our “homework” to determine the critical elements needed for a competitive product that meets Klipsch Sonic Signature. Custom 3 has one of the most advanced crossovers of any headphone product in the marketplace. On top of this there are some very precise micro acoustic parts with a very tight tolerance to insure a consistent product for our customers. These developments are why we at Klipsch are convinced that you the customer will be more than thrilled with the results.

As of today I have personally received our final voicing of the crossover PCB’s made from production hard tooling. We will be analyzing the quality of all the components and will then embark on the final review of our assembly process before we turn the switch on for mass production. We have spent an extraordinary amount of time analyzing the requirements for the sonic response and I am happy to say that Custom 3 represents the essence of what an exceptional IE Headphone should be. IMHO… We hope you will too.

Soon the tables will turn and I will be anxiously awaiting your opinion on the design that we have created.

This is an exciting time for all of us at Klipsch!

Hello Professor,

I, like countless others on this site I'm sure, am counting the days until I can stuff some Custom-3's in my ears and make my ipod actually sound good!!! My question to you is this:

How do the Custom-3's differ from the Image (besides appearance)?

Thank you.

Custom 3 was designed for the serious musician or discerning listener who will want to take the time to mount the wire over the ear for a stable fit allowing for more consistent sound. Custom 3 will have the most accurate sound of the family of Klipsch Headphones. With this said IMAGE runs a very close second for quality of sound. Personally I can listen to either and be very satisfied with the sound. IMAGE is just more convenient to carry and load onto the ear. You will find that there can be better uses for each.

So Stick it in your EAR!

before we turn the switch on for mass production.

sounds scary.

yes it does - I'm envisioning a bunch of elves firing up a bunch of machinery and equipment....

You must be more optimistic than I am...I was picturing parts flying every direction off the assembly line and half built product making it out the end since all the workers were too busy dodging all the projectiles [;)]

I think that's pretty akin to saying "break a leg", eh?

Head-Fi members have been commenting on the name "Custom 1-3". As much as I would like to take more stabs at the names of our new headphone products, it is counterproductive to the real issues at hand. Comfort and Sound. Don’t you think? I list them in that order because I believe that if you don’t have comfort you can’t enjoy the sound as much as if you do.

This is coming from a guy who just got off of a 15 hour plane ride and has had Custom 3’s from mass production stuck in his ears the entire time. ...Oh and my ears don’t hurt at all. Yes you heard me right! My ears don’t hurt AND I have just returned from the factory and can happily say that Klipsch Custom 3 In-Ear Canal Phones are now in mass production. Hark the herald angels sing a new child is born! Well at least one of the children that Dr. Cochlear and I have slaved away to optimize for mass production. It isn’t easy to say the least, but we are ecstatic that yields are higher than expected and the sound ….OMG… But I will let you decide.

So as of Friday December 14th, 2007 Custom 3 is officially born or as most would say “in mass production.” I predict we may be out of stock on back order for a while, if the expected demand occurs. We may have 100 factory workers on 3 assembly lines making Klipsch Headphones but at the moment we only have one talented person at the factory that can build this little micro gem. Other operators will be trained, but they will need to have the eyes of an eagle and the steady hands of a surgeon. We currently have less than one hundred headphones built, but the plan 400 sets shipping to our warehouses by the end of year.

Happy Hunting….Rock On!

Jay,

I'm hoping Professor Thump brought a few pairs with him and that yours will be in transit Monday.....

The anticipation has got to be driving you nuts.

Sorry guys but I only brought back the one sample. I have to admit I was listening to classical music for half the plane ride back and I couldn't believe how delicate the tweeter can be when needed. The strings were so smooth with consistant amplitude up and down the scale.

Hold in there Jay.... you've waited very patiently for months ... it's down to a few weeks now.

After I posted that it occurred to me that there's probably something about export / import laws that might've kept the good Professor Thump in customs or caused him to miss his flight from China.... now we wouldn't want that.

Still time to drag your RF83's home from the dorm? RF83's in a dorm room - man that's intense - gotta be the best sounding room on campus.

I really was hoping you'd get them for Christmas break so you'd have time to really give them a listen and let us know what you think. I suspect Prof Thump would love to know your opinion as well.

p.s. If you're not returning to school until January 20th, maybe the Custom 3 will hit the shores before the end of the month or very early next month so maybe theres still a chance you'll get them before returning to school...

There is no way I am dragging the rf-83 home... They are staying at the dorm.... they are huge speakers and I will say that they are harder to move then heritage models other than say the klipschorn or the jubilee.... I say this because no other klipsch is one piece as tall as them and as thin as them without much to grip. The rf-83 are tall thin and unbalanced 100 pound speakers which is more than a cornwall!

I was hoping that I could get the custom 3 and hold me over till I come back january 20.

• 3 weeks later...