Allan (and other left coasters) - a few recommendations please

ColonialHoo

I will be in LA for a few days next week (work related trip to Simi Valley), and I am looking for some recommendations on things to do in my down time.

It has been almost 20 years since I spent any time in LA. I would like to take in something on Tuesday afternoon after landing and before heading up to the hotel. I am considering a stop at the Peterson's Auto Museum, but the 60th anniversary Ferrari display has left and the current feature is low-riders and micro-cars (not quite the same). Any suggestions?

Also, I would like to get suggestions for a record store or two. Unlike Gary, I am saddled with pretty poor pickins at the local thrift stores down here, so a cool record store or two would definitely make for a nice side trip.

Finally, if there are going to be any really nice jazz happenings on Tuesday or Wednesday evening, I would definitely be up for an evening of live jazz (and a single-malt or two).

Thanks in advance - Chuck

I will be in LA for a few days next week ...........

Also, I would like to get suggestions for a record store or two. 

You only need one record store here ....Ameoba Music ... They have .... everything .... corner of Sunset and Cahuenga ... near the Cinerama Dome.

Bring a full wallet ... you will be able to find all those things you have been looking for, Used, New ,CD, Vinyl,DVD, posters .... did I say everything.

Well I'll take a stab here. I haven't seen Allan around here in a while, so I am guessing he's probably pretty busy with the backlash of the WGA strike. Granted, I am by no means the jazz guru, but I grew up in L.A. (Pasadena), and I have lived here most of my life.

What G.Kennedy said below. You'd be hard pressed to find a better music store than Amoeba on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood. They have a HUGE offering.

If I were you, I'd go see the Jack Sheldon Quartet at Charlie O's in Valley Glenn on Tuesday Dec. 11th. Charlie O's is a great little place to see live jazz, just ask myself, garymd or boomac. I had the privilege of seeing Jack Sheldon with Allan, garymd and boomac plus his son Kyle at Jax in Glendale, CA. Jack was fantastic and hilarious as well. In fact, if I wasn't going to be out of town next week I'd join you there.

What do you like to do? A few suggestions, you could go to the Getty Center, Huntington Library, La Brea Tar Pits, LA County Museum of Art, The Natural History Museum of LA County, or the Norton-Simon Museum.

You could hit the beach or the slopes as well.

If you're lucky, maybe Allan will see this thread and chime in with his southland expertise.