getting pseudo 6.1/7.1 out of 5.1 receiver

boa12

i was just thinking (look out Smile.gif) on my future conversion to HT in the 2nd room. i've got this vintage kenwood stereo receiver & marantz sr8000 back there. whenever i do get the added speakers, why not just run the sr8000 2 rear preouts to the big ken's aux inputs & switch it to mono. then attach 1 or 2 speakers to it.

should give a similar rear surround matrixed effect as ex or es. seen some doing this w/ a prologic receiver, but a stereo reciver in mono should work pretty much the same.

just wanted to bring this up for possible problems &/or

info purposes. i'm a long way off from doing it (I hope for $ sake Smile.gif).

though after reading about dolby digital EX @ www.dolby.com realize i wouldn't get the same effect as EX encoded material & a processor w/ dolby EX decoding. here a seperate 6th channel matrixed from info on the surround channels is actually encoded/decoded. imagine the same would hold true for DTS 6.1 ES encoding & decoding.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-03-2002 at 11:06 PM

I'm actually doing something very similar to what you're considering. Have NAD T 761 main pre-outs split to Anthem Amp 1 & Dynaco Series II Amp. The Anthem powers Belle mains & the Dynaco powers a pair of Heresies. Also have two sets of rears; RS-3's are powered by NAD receivers rear speaker connections and a pair of verticle horn Cornwalls are powered by rear pre-outs to my Outlaw 750.

Can't decode any actual encoded EX effects. Also, the receiver is only 5.1, but the sound is awesome none the less. This hook up lets me take advantage of the additional Klipsch that are at my disposal. Besides, with everything calibrated properly, 5 Channel Music with full range speakers is simply breath taking.

Go for it!

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-04-2002 at 09:52 AM

some info i picked up from another bb w/ a section on the 777es receiver with the 'virtual matrix 6.1' upgrade: run the left and right pre-outs to an input of a pro-logic receiver, then hook the center rear speaker to the center output and voila! a matrixed center rear! although i'm content for now with the 'simulated' center rear that vm 6.1 provides, i picked up an older ES receiver which is basically a converted stereo receiver w/the pro-logic processor and some whimpy (30 watt) center and rear amps added. it does,however, have 5ch. pre-outs/ins and huge l,r front amps, so if i use it i'm going to pass the center out to the left or right in for some serious center rear power. it actually has two center outs, i wonder if i can hook up two surrounds to the l,r out of the older receiver's front l,r speaker out, and set the pro-logic mode to 'phantom' center? avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Run low level L/R surround out on DD receiver to L/R CD input on DPL receiver.Set DPL receiver input to CD.Wire L/C/R surround speakers to L/C/R front speaker terminals on DPL receiver.Set DPL receiver to '3-channel stereo'.To go back to 5.1,set DPL receiver to 'stereo'.

Keith

thanks guys. & sorry i pretty much put the same post under HT as i figured it wouldn't get the exposure here.

it looks like u have to use a prologic decoder to do that matrixing (welcome back av Smile.gif) as it will decode just the mono info from the discrete RL & RR channels on 5.1 material into a center. the stereo receiver on mono would sum everything including the discrete info into the center (not what i was looking for).

so guess i'd have to use the sony de935 for that rear center duty. though I hope any added hisss doesn't cancel the 6.1 matrix benefits there. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Welcome back avman. Also Keith is correct as well.

OR, you could buy my Parasound CSE 6.1 Center Surround Expander since I am going to upgrade to something else and sell my Parasound AVC1800. PM me if you are interested.

Check it out at Parasound.com

This message has been edited by aab3rd on 01-05-2002 at 11:39 PM