Dampering the horn on La Scala

lifter

I have a Mc MA6850 hooked to my La Scalas (1992). The treble is so high on them (ouch), I have the settings on 0-0. As I crank it up it gets worse and the bass is muffle sounding??? Then I hook my sub up (Velodyne 15) and that takes care of the bass, but the schrill of that horn kills me (I turned the treble to -3)??? The room is carpeted and about 24x50, there are 2 slidding glass doors on the side. Any suggestions???

Thanks

The La Scala mid-range can sound harsh or "shouty" to some listeners' ears. I had the treble on mine set to -4db for the first week, but after a little tweaking, I've got it set at 'flat' and am pleased with the sound.

There are a couple of ways to go with this issue. One is to use a different tap on one of the crossover transformers (it has 3 you can use), which will lower the level of the squawker output (The squawker is the midrange driver. The term has fallen out of use most places, but Klipsch still uses it.)

Another way, which works, but may generate ridicule (I know, I've received lots) is to put grille cloth in front of the squawker horn. Two or three layers will take out the harshness nicely, without making it sound muffled or lacking in detail. It changes the look a little, too.

A more expensive variation on the first idea is to install crossovers that allow adjustment of the mid-range and high drivers' output.

As for dampening the horn, Dynamat, either original or Xtreme has been used, as well as rope caulk. That only applies to the earlier metal K400 horn. The later resin model has braces and doesn't have the ringing issue.

Your amp has a 2, 4 and 8 ohm tap.

Depending on what type crossovers you have, you may be able to put you LF section on tap 8 and your HF section on either tap 4 or tap 2.

See the attached pdf that explains why you would do this.

If you need help furthur, just provide info on what type crossovers your LaScala has.

McIntosh Autoformer Training Page.pdf

"There are a couple of ways to go with this issue. One is to use
a different tap on one of the crossover transformers (it has 3 you can
use), which will lower the level of the squawker output (The squawker
is the midrange driver. The term has fallen out of use most places,
but Klipsch still uses it.) "

Not possible on the AL-3. It does not have taps like the T2A.

But you can proceed with the Mcintosh approach and put you HF section on the 4 or 2 ohm amplifier tap and the LF section on the 8 ohm tap amplifier tap.

There are a couple of ways to go with this issue. One is to use a different tap on one of the crossover transformers (it has 3 you can use), which will lower the level of the squawker output (The squawker is the midrange driver. The term has fallen out of use most places, but Klipsch still uses it.)

Not possible on the AL-3. The autoformer onthe AL-3 does not have taps like the T2A does.

How do I do that? Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm a beginner! I'm a quick learner....

Thanks

Are we back on track now....you want more info on using the Mcintosh method?

I have a Mc MA6850 hooked to my La Scalas (1992). The treble is so high on them (ouch), I have the settings on 0-0. As I crank it up it gets worse and the bass is muffle sounding??? Then I hook my sub up (Velodyne 15) and that takes care of the bass, but the schrill of that horn kills me (I turned the treble to -3)??? The room is carpeted and about 24x50, there are 2 slidding glass doors on the side. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Could we get a bit more information? Are you just setting up these LaScalas, or have you had them awhile and have had this problem develop? Also, describing the bass as muffeled sounding is a bit unusual. Usually people think the LaScala has very good bass, just that the bass doesn't go as low as some in frequency. Are you sure all the drivers in the LaScala are working?

Bob Crites

Bob, I've had these hooked to the Mac for 5 years, the past 3 yrs in a bigger place. I have never been that happy with the bass, hence the 15 sub... I got diaphragms from you about 2 yrs. ago. I am pretty sure the drivers are working, how would I know for sure???

Thanks

Well, a sort of quick and dirty test to just see if everything is working would be to play some music that has some of all frequencies, lows mids and highs, and cover the tweeter with a towel of somthing while listening to the midrange and then cover the midrange while listening to the tweeter. Cover both of those while listening to the bass bin. Each driver should be heard clearly and separately and assuming that the mix of sounds is right for this, about the same volume out of each.

Bob

You mentioned not liking the sound of the treble and needing to turn it down. Can you tell me if the excess treble is from the midrange horn or the tweeter. Also, you may have already mentioned this, but do both of the LaScalas sound the same to you?

Bob Crites

I guess you mean from the midrange horns and not the tweeter horns. The AL-3 crossovers you have do run the midrange 2 db hotter than the earlier type AA crossovers. Since the T4A is a fixed attenuation (-4dB) you can't easily change the squawker output by selecting another tap like you could have done with the earlier T2A autotransformer.

OK, something to try. You can get a 16 ohm L-pad to temporarily try decreasing the output of the squawker.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-254

I don't really like L-pads, but this would give you a way to see if decreasing the midrange output a bit gave you the sound you are looking for.

Bob Crites