LaScala question

jpm

I have had both k-43's and K-33's in LaScala's and currently, while I have extra sets of k-33's, all my LaScala's have K-43's in them.

Due to the cabinet volume of the LaScala dog house the common belief that a K-33 will sound better is not correct. The K-43 will be perceived as having more "slam" than a k-33.

I would not put a K-43 in a khorn or a cornwall since the extra internal volume in those cabs better optimize the use of the k-33 which results in a lower reaching frequency response.

I have had both k-43's and K-33's in LaScala's and currently, while I have extra sets of k-33's, all my LaScala's have K-43's in them. Due to the cabinet volume of the LaScala dog house the common belief that a K-33 will sound better is not correct. The K-43 will be perceived as having more "slam" than a k-33. I would not put a K-43 in a khorn or a cornwall since the extra internal volume in those cabs better optimize the use of the k-33 which results in a lower reaching frequency response.

I have a pair of Cornwalls that incorporate the K-43's. I used to have a pair of 73' vert. Cornwalls that I assume had the K-33's in them. The vert's. were stock and the boxes have never been cracked open. That is why I say, I assume they have the K-33's. The Cornwalls with the K-43's, to my ears anyway, have a better bass response. They dig deeper and kind of hit you in the chest, where the one's with the K-33's didn't seem to create that chest pounding experience. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great. It just seems like the K-43's hit harder.

Tom

Digging deeper (better LF extension) is not the same as the "kick in the chest" response. The chest pounding thing is centered around 60-90Hz.

I don''t have anything specific to add regarding the K43, but there you have it...

Forgive the wrong description as I am not as savvy as many on this forum. I should have said, with the kick in the chest thing going on, they seem to me, to have a more prominent low frequency affect. That is the low end seems to be accented more than with the K-33's that were in my other Cornwalls. I hope that is a description that is acceptable or closer to how I want to describe it to make it more viable than the last. Of course this is only my experience with these. Others may have a quite different experience.

Tom

There's nothing to forgive, Tom. I understand what you're saying and just wanted to make sure you knew what was happening to give you that effect. If you were looking for a woofer and asking folks for one that digs deeper, you were likely to get recommendations that were the opposite of what you were after.

I don't have any experience with the K-43, but from what I can recall reading here it is used in their Industrial LS, offers higher power handling and does not have quite the LF extension that the K-43 has. I've seen others describe it just like you have, so your take on it looks to be spot on.

I talk with end users and dealers about Yorkville's subs on a regular basis and the difference between two of our popular compact powered units is the same. The single vented 15" goes lower and has flatter response, while the dual 10" in a bandpass box is punchier.