confused about dvd to receiver connections.

shaunm

hi all! i dont know if i should use my dvd player to do the 5.1 sounds or my receiver? my dvd player has 5.1output. Will it be better than using my receiver to do the 5.1 sound? also if i connect my dvd player's audio using the digital coaxal will my yamaha recevier give me 5.1 sound? if i use my the digital coaxal does that mean i dont have to use the component 5.1output? how about if i want to play music? i'm really confused as how to set up my home theater i really want to experience surround sound. I just got the new yamaha 5.1 receiver, velodyne dps12 sub and klipsch ksw10 sub. tv is a 60 inch sony.

thanks all! i'm just getting started in home theater. i always watch movies so i thought i would build my system to enjoy my movies even more. i use tv speakers to watch my movies but its not the same as watching in the movie theater.

you can go straight to the TV for the video, but as OB said, run the optical out on the DVD player(you will probably need to go into the DVD menus to turn this on) to the receiver. You need to use the optical out to get 5.1.

Need good cheap cables to accomplish all of this?

try monoprice.com

Have fun!! LFE is just around the corner!!!

hi all! i dont know if i should use my dvd player to do the 5.1 sounds or my receiver? my dvd player has 5.1output. Will it be better than using my receiver to do the 5.1 sound? also if i connect my dvd player's audio using the digital coaxal will my yamaha recevier give me 5.1 sound? if i use my the digital coaxal does that mean i dont have to use the component 5.1output? how about if i want to play music? i'm really confused as how to set up my home theater i really want to experience surround sound. I just got the new yamaha 5.1 receiver, velodyne dps12 sub and klipsch ksw10 sub. tv is a 60 inch sony.

thanks all! i'm just getting started in home theater. i always watch movies so i thought i would build my system to enjoy my movies even more. i use tv speakers to watch my movies but its not the same as watching in the movie theater.

The answer to this depends to some degree on a the relative quality of the decoders in your player versus your receiver. Using the 5.1 output on the player means it will be doing the decoding. Using a digital output (either electrical/coax or optical) means the receiver does the decoding. You may have to try both to see which you prefer.

It will also depend on the bass management capabilities of your player and your receiver. Many receivers don't apply bass management (routing of low bass to large speakers and your sub) to the 5.1 inputs, so it's up to your player to do that.

You can pass music from the player using the same connection as you use for DVD's (in most cases).

thanks guys for the replies! i have decided to use the digital coax and let my receiver do the decoding for now. but i cant figure out how on my receiver!? so much settings. but i always see L and R on the receiver not L R C LFE SL SR.. anyone have any suggestions? i'm thinking of returning this and getting a sony or pioneer.

If i still cant figure this out. i might just get a home theater in a box, the sony one sounded good with i demo it. yesterday i was at the bose store because my friend baught the wave system. almost $700!!! for that cassete look alike no matter what i said she didn't listen. way overpriced should have been only $200 or less. but the salesperson at bose took us to their ultimate home theater system and i was impressed by the sound quality for such tiny speakers!. sounds soo good! but overpriced! $5000! i wish my system sounded that good! hehe. is the secret in the their receiver?

is the secret in the their receiver?

The "secret" is a demo that is highly tuned to work well on their system - a well set-up Klipsch system (with a good receiver as I suspect yours is) will blow the doors off anything Bose can offer. I'm sure you've heard the joke - "Friends don't let friends buy Bose." Or, Bose stands for "Better Off with Something Else."

I'm not directly familiar with your Yammy receiver (you don't say what model it is), but you need to be sure it is receiving Dolby Digital 5.1 from your player (or DTS 5.1) AND that it is set to automatically detect the signal so it decodes it correctly.

If you don't have the right connections and wires it doesn't matter, it won't work right. I moved a Sony to buy my Yamaha htr5890, took awhile to understand owners manual, pretty confusing for me, but the Yamaha is a fine Home Theatre unit, alittle better than my old Sony, I'm happy with it, not sorry I bought it ............... take your time, re-read your owners manual, relax,and enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys for the replies! i have decided to use the digital coax and let my receiver do the decoding for now. but i cant figure out how on my receiver!? so much settings. but i always see L and R on the receiver not L R C LFE SL SR.. anyone have any suggestions? i'm thinking of returning this and getting a sony or pioneer.

If you have your DVD player's digital output hooked up with a digital coax cable to the "DVD in" connection on your receiver, you've got the first part right. Next, you'll need some 5.1 programming. Even if the DVD in the player says it has 5.1 sound, you may still need to select it in the main menu, since the first choice on the disc may be Dolby 2.0, which will give you only 2 channels. As well, the intro on many movie DVDs is in stereo, not 5.1, so you may have to wait until the feature starts.

You don't need to delve into various settings on the receiver. If you just select "Straight" with the Straight/Effect button on the remote or the front panel, a 5.1 program should come out as 5.1 and light up the L, R, C, SL, SR and LFE indicators.

Many members on this forum are very happy with their Yamaha receivers and I'm sure you soon will be, too.

The dvd player is set to 5.1 the dvd movie (flag of our fathers) is set to 5.1 and the yamaha is set to "straight" but i only see L,R but i can hear surround sound. is this normal? what is pcm? this receiver sounds really good. but i just dont see L,R,C,SL,SR, and LFE light up, only L,R

thanks again.

Don't have a Yamaha, Denon, but on my remote I have a Doby/DTS surround button that to get the 5.1 I have to make sure the receiver is set to Doby/DTS surround. If the reciever is set to stereo that is what I get.

Also on my Denon I Have to turn on a optical or coaxial connection to use it. So if I add another dvd player using optical audio cable to the receiver I have to go into the set up and turn on that optical connection. If I do not do that then nothing at all but you said you are getting sound just 2 channel correct?

Double check your audio setting on your dvd player also.

I may have missed it but what speakers are you using for your L,C,R and rear speakers?

I also agree that read the instructions again cause it took me a day of reading the instructions again before I realized I had to turn on the coaxial to get the sound. Mine is a older model so I think the newer a/v receivers would just recognize when another cable is connected and turn on that connection but check it anyway.

Let us know what it is once figured out.

I noticed on your first post and your last sentece said " i use tv speakers to watch my movies but its not the same as watching in the movie theater. "

So right now are you using just the left and right speakers that come with the tv or do you have a left, center, right and rear speakers?

If only using the tv speakers that might, not sure but might cause this problem or something is not set right with the dvd player or a/v receiver.

To give you a example of how many simple things can cause problems in home theater systems two years after getting my a/v receiver it started to just power off. I would have to wait a couple of minutes and start everything up again and start watch the movie and then it would do it again.

Someone on the forum said make sure the positive and negative speaker wire on each speaker is not touching. Sure enough a single thread of wire from the negative wire was touching the postive wire. I spent two-three days trying to figure it out and it was just a single thread of the wire, not the whole wire just a single thread causing the problems.

I know this can be frustraiting but be patient and someone here will probably help you figure it out.

hi jbsl thanks for the reply. As of now I still see L,R on my receiver panel. I cannot get DTS.. I'm reading the manual now over and over again. Here is what i have been trying. Right now I am using a Daiwa dvd player it is set to stereo because if i set it to 5.1 I dont get vocals or voices on the movies. (took me a while to figure that out) I am now using digital opitcal output to connect my dvd player to my receiver, i dont know if its better that coax. My test dvd is iRobot because it has DTS 5.1, I still cannot get the full L,R,C,LFE,SR,SL or the DTS sign to display on my receiver. just prologic 2 and L,R. I have tried my HDMI samsung dvd player but that one doesnt have any settings that i could chose 5.1 or stereo. My tv isn't HDMI so i'm using the Daiwa one. Also I have been trying to set 5.1 on the receiver i hear the test sound all speakers work. but when i click "set" it goes back to L,R sooo frustrating. I'm thinking that somehow it is still playing L,R. By the way i am not using tv speakers, i have an F-3 system with a velodyne DSP 12 sub, its more than enough for my size of room 15x20. So anyways i think you might have solve my problem i will try to turn on the digital optical "on" on my receiver ill read the manual on how to do that. i really hope it works and not a defective yamaha receiver i really dont want to return it its a hassle and i lost my receipt hehe.

thanks again for the help. i have also been searching online for an answer.

Yes bill that is it! Perfect match.

Toddvj I finally figured out how to set my receiver to DTS .. but no sound comes out but when i set it to "auto" there's sound "PCM" i always see it.

i'm thinking todd is right i think this yamaha receiver should automatically detect dts but its not therefore the answer lies with my dvd player but i already went to my setup and i put it to 5.1 no sound stereo works. hmmm.. i'lll try it again. its alreay 5:30am here.. no sleep yet. last day of 2007!! i want to fix my home theater before 2008! hehheeeh. i'll try my samsung dvd player but that one has no setup.