Digital 5.1 "ready" and DVD audio?

Mikekid

Hello all.

I am just now starting to look into DVD audio/SACD.

I currently have an OLD Yamaha RXV-2090 digital ready receiver hooked into a Sony DVD w/ built-in dolby digital decoder. Works and sounds great, but I am curious if I can still use my old receiver with this new DVDA/ SACD format............

Would the new DVD/DVD audio/CD combo/DTS/DD players w/built in decoder share the same 5.1 RCA outputs on the back of my DD "ready" receiver?

ANY advice on this IS appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 01-05-2002 at 08:27 PM

Mike, yes all the formats will share the 5.1 input, you will be able to enjoy DD, DTS, and DVD-A, as well as 2-channel sources. For 2 channel though, you may want to use the stereo outputs on the DVD player because, as boa mentioned, you won't be able to adjust anything, which can get in the way of DSP's, tone controls, etc. The other thing to consider is, the new high resolution formats like DVD-A, SACD, have a wider frequency response that what was standard before (20-20). Although the sounds beyond this range are not audible to the human ear, they still affect harmonics. Make sure your receiver can handle these. Also, make sure your receiver can handle higher Sampling/Bit rates. CD's use 44.1kHz, whereas DVD-A uses up to 192kHz, not every receiver can handle these rates. I'm not sure what happens if it can't, probably just means you're not taking full advantage of the format. If nothing else, with one of these combo players, you'll at least get DTS, which is a big step up in itself.

------------------

My Home Theater

Does anyone out there have both DVD-A & SACD? If so,how do you ahev them hooked up?

Considering most receviers only have one set up 6 CH inputs. Until they have players that decode both, or have a 6 CH input to bypass another processor, I can't see how anybody could have both.

Like I have my DTS bypassing through my DD processor before my receiver.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

MagnumMan, I posted a thread on this in the past. I was told by one of the BB members about a product that Sony makes-- the TA-P9000ES. It is a preamp which allows you to input two 6-channel sources and pass through to your receiver, or even straight to an amp. It has volume control, and Bass Management. I have not gotten serious just yet, I just picked up a DVD-Audio player, but when the time comes, I will be looking into this a bit more. Just passing along what I've learned.

------------------

My Home Theater

Thanks! I imagine as time passes,there will be more options available. I might upgrade receiver later in year, and will keep my eye open on Sony and others. Hopefully Harmon Kardon comes out with something. I love HK and would hate to go with anything else. But I will keep options open.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

Yep, I'm itchin' to get a new receiver (already) but am going to see what happens, if anyone will come out with something that can switch between 2 six-channel sources. For one thing, I don't know where I could fit another component. I already had to ditch the VCR. Second, the SACD player I want is very expensive, and it sucks that not only will I have to invest big bucks into some good cables (3 pairs of High quality interconnects ain't cheap), but then I gotta go buy a $500-600 glorified splitter? More realistically, I'll probably have to just pick a format and stick to it. I'm definitely more exited about SACD, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about DVD-A, too.

------------------

My Home Theater

I would suggest that anyone looking to buy either DVDa or SACD players either holds off that purchase or buys an inexpensive unit like one of the DVD/SACD players from Sony.

Rumour has it that both the DVDa group and the SACD group are preparing to release digital connection support (via firewire) sometime towards the end of the year.

This will certainly mean new players coming out, and presumably a whole new range of decoders, preamps and surround sound integrated units with Firewire ports.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable