Harshness

matthew2

When using the RF3's, is there a problem with harshness. If I play some heavy metal really loud, will the sound hurt my ears because of the harshness, or because it is so loud?? I like the mids to be foward, but I dont want anything to be harsh. A LITTLE brightness is OK for me.

Let's say I use a cheep harman/kardan 2ch Reciever. Will it sound harsh? How much of a diffrence in harshness is there between a sony reciever, and a bryson power amp?

I read things on audioreview.com, or hometheatreforum.com, and people say they can't stand being in the same room with klipsch. Is it because they are jealouse that there bose sounds like a coupla' apes making love on a washing machine with an unbalanced load, or because they didnt hear the klipsch on proper audio gear?

Thanks for any replies.

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

About harsh sound and harsh choices...

First of all Bryston amps are not what I would call harsh.They are not as refined as some Krell or large ML amps but very close in most respects.And far away from the silky smooth tube amps.

Many cheap recievers bring harshness to sound,no doubt.Most Denon,Onkyo,Marantz and some up the ladder Yamaha are quite free(for a reciever)of harshness.

I would opt for a Marantz,these are known for their smooth sound that matches very well with Klipsch speakers in general.

I use a 3801 and 5800 with Klipsches and the sound is not harsh.Sure a Celeste MOON W5 is way more refined(not a trace of harshness,more controlled bass).

When you switch from non horn loaded to horn loaded speakers you will notice the highs to be more in your face.Horns should be matched to better quality amps.

Horns will show all the bad in a cheapo amp(harsh sounding,agressive...the kind that makes you want loose hearing).

I have the largest R series speakers the RF-7's and when matched with the ATI 1505 or 2505 the sound will be free from agressive highs or spit forward midrange.And the ATI amps are not as liquid sounding(free from grain)as the Celsete are.

When I switch from Dynaudio Contour 3.3's to the Klipsch RF-7's I do hear very well the signature of each company(or lack of).Still Klipsch R series should not hurt your ears and bring faugue unless the amp and front end is cheapo or/and a bad match.

Extreme SPL is not good,from any speakers.

In audio matching components is critical.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I have used both my HK520 and HK AVR20MKII with RF3's when I owned them. I had to take some time with the speaker placement in the room. The end result was worth it. Very smooth. If you haven't already; spend some time with speaker placement.

If that is not it then possibly it is the CD's. I have found that some CD's are not listenable because they are simply bad recordings. Lastly it could just be that you don't like the Klipsch sound. They are not for everyone (so I am told).

EDIT: I reread your question again. I can't comment on the other brands of amplifiers. It seems you like the Klipsch sound so maybe look at placement issue and yes playing loud music for long periods of time will hurt your ears (not theEARS) Smile.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 01-06-2002 at 02:18 AM

a better amp will make all the difference, says one of the tube guys, but people will still describe the Klipsch sound as "bright", but when I go to listen to live music, the cymbal strike has a large and deep mid-range wave front followed by a high-end 3D shimmer and shine that I have not heard any speaker, including the $70K ML Statements, reproduce as well as the real thing, among pedestrian systems, only the Klipsch begins to resemble the sound, not that I am one of the treble lovers either, for as a bass lover, I am thinking about a third mid-bass-woofer -

and oh yes, your Klipsch can play LOUD, even efficient 90 dB/w/m speakers will not sound or play as well, our goals as tweaking audiophiles should be to increase the quality of silence and the amount of dynamic range in our systems by improving the front-end components, the weakest and most crucial one, IMO, is the amplifier -

I do not think that an amp costing two or three times the price of the speakers is unwarranted when you are talking about Klipsch, the speakers are rarely the weak part of the audio chain, I have heard a few inexpensive little bookshelf cone speakers on my $1700 Dynaco and Paramour front-end and this really shows off what they can do, it makes them better, but not great, improving the front-end with Klipsch horns only shows off more of what they can do -

while I have heard a few expensive solid state amps on Cornwalls and a Khorn, the Klipsch speakers never sounded like they were operating out of their range or that the amp was much better quality than they were, (which is of course a very subjective thing, I would have to hear the amps on speakers much better than the amps to know if the amps were mis-matched)-

bottom line is that I think you can do better for power -

heavy metal, however, is horribly recorded and not even Klipsch and Brystons can make it sound like music, try some Mozart instead!

just kidding Wink.gif

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 01-06-2002 at 11:03 AM

"I dont mean the new crap like "slipnot"..."

Yes have to agree here,this is more like a mixture of acid metal/trash metal and agony screams.

Mtallica while not tube material(LOL) sounds refined compared to some metal bands who whine and scream like they just lost their privates in a press roller.

cwm27.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears