Opinions: Primaluna Prologue Five

shload

Anyone play with one of these? What are the thoughts on this type of amp, I'm very much a plug and play type! Do you lose alot of the "Tube Magic" with the added auto-bias invoved in the amp? Thanks for any thoughts. Joe

"Adaptive AutoBias™ Exclusive to PrimaLuna, this circuit monitors and adjusts bias automatically. Each power tube is monitored to stay in a peak operating range.
No need for matched tubes, no bias adjustments. It also allows you to experiment with different power tubes. Plug in virtually any power tube. Adaptive AutoBias will automatically adjust itself! In addition to KT88s, you can use 6550, KT90, EL-34, KT77, 6CA7, 6L6GC, KT66, 7581, or even 6V6GT tubes, and any of their equivalents.. "

post-12826-1381935481144_thumb.jpg

Have not seen many post on the Primaluna gear so did a search and someone bought the Prolouge two last year. Do a search for Primaluna Prologue Five and see what turns up.

Maybe if anyone else owns Primaluna gear they will speake up.

I absolutely LOVE my ProLogue Three preamp. My monoblock power amps use KT-88's so my situation is similar. I have had zero issues in 1 1/2 yrs and it is as plug n play as it gets. I have heard the Five as well and I would choose it over the EL34-based Four. Nice slam on the low end. Is there a dealer near you?

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely LOVE my ProLogue Three preamp. My monoblock power amps use KT-88's so my situation is similar. I have had zero issues in 1 1/2 yrs and it is as plug n play as it gets. I have heard the Five as well and I would choose it over the EL34-based Four. Nice slam on the low end. Is there a dealer near you? 

synthfreak,

What power tubes are you using?

synthfreak,

What power tubes are you using?

Do you mean what brand? I would be interested in some KT-88s, but also could see rolling in some 6L6 just for grins.

Bruce

Those are the ones recommended by the guy Cleby who rebuilds/mods/restores Dynaco gear. He says he's tried them all and these are the best current production models. He also likes the 6550 over the KT-88 in this amp. I've left my amps on for the last 3 years and play them every day and they still sing nice. I rebias every 3-4 months and they have never needed any adjustment over .01-.05.