Buying 3 surround speakers

Kynergy

For 6.1 system, how did you buy the surrounds? Almost all merchandises sell the surrounds in pair. One may buy 2 pairs in case of upgrading to 7.1 in later time but that's not money wise. Who knows when the upgrading will happen or if he wants to upgrade all speakers.

Yeah, I have had 6.1 for more than 3 years. Just upgraded fronts and will do the center soon. That leaves the 3 surrounds unchanged. I think I will just use them.

p.s. For those who do buy two pairs, just connect the two back as one in series for the 6.1. Try that and see how it sounds. Now I am currently using two old fronts in series as center and it's good.

I'm using Heresy IIs for surround and center in a 5.1 system, so I wound up with a spare Heresy II, which I may use for a rear surround for 6.1 at some point if I find a sturdy enough wall mount and don't mind yet another "not-small" speaker in the room.

The hi-fi theorists think that the side-by-side drivers of the typical center speaker are not the way to get the best sound and recommend a conventional speaker if you can make it fit the location. As well, the best setup is three matching speakers across the front. If all three are at least timbre-matched, like all Heritage, for example, the sound will be noticeably better than using mismatched speakers.

• Moderators

I'm using Heresy IIs for surround and center in a 5.1 system, so I wound up with a spare Heresy II, which I may use for a rear surround for 6.1 at some point if I find a sturdy enough wall mount and don't mind yet another "not-small" speaker in the room.

The hi-fi theorists think that the side-by-side drivers of the typical center speaker are not the way to get the best sound and recommend a conventional speaker if you can make it fit the location. As well, the best setup is three matching speakers across the front. If all three are at least timbre-matched, like all Heritage, for example, the sound will be noticeably better than using mismatched speakers.

That's what I did, I had 4 Forte ll's and found a pair of original forte's, cheap $300.

I used three F ll's across the front and for center rear, and the original Forte's for rear L+R for 6.1 .

I would have went 5.1 but then I would have had to store one speaker somewhere anyway, so 6.1.