new concerned klipsch user HELP!!!!!

ilovesound

Hi, i am new to klipsch as i have recently been using klh speakers, yes klh. I have just purchased a klipsch quintet 3 system and a str-dg600 sony receiver pushin 110 watts per channel. My question is, can anyone tell me how loud i can turn the system up without damaging anything. I am being very cautious because im only 15 and dont have the money to spend fixing blown tweeters, not to mention i have to buy a klipsch ksw-12 synergy sub still. So if someone could please help me be assured of how loud i can turn the volume without damage occuring.

Oh, yes and what got me to post this, was when i was watching star wars today when Darth Vader spoke i heard an almost weird bass coming from the center speaker, it was like a wavy bass. Everything else sounds great But Please Help!!!!!

When going for maximum volume, turn it up until you hear distortion, then back it off until you don't hear it, and then back it off a little bit more.

It doesn't matter if the distortion is from the amp, or the speakers, it's time to quit. The reason you back it off a little more (after you hear the distortion go away) is that most people can't hear the on-set of distortion and need a bit of headroom for safety.

Hi and welcome. I have a son your age and he loves to turn things up. Generally when things don't sound so good through your speakers then distortion is creeping in because either the speaker or amplifier can't handle the load. If you are already hearing some funning things on a track, try on another different CD or DVD. If the noise is still apparent, there may be damage to the coil in the speaker or your electronics are playing up. Try with another speaker. If ther noise is not there with another speaker you know it's the speaker. As a rule if you have to wind up your volume past 2 o'clock then you are deaf or you need to revisit the 'strength' & 'power' of your gear. Another rule as with most Klipsch gear is that your ears generally start to bleed before you do damage to their gear.

Good luck.

• Klipsch Employees

Taylor,

Welcome.

What the other members have said is true. However, you made a good point. The receiver you have could run out of gas before your ears notice it.

If this were to happen, your tweeters could be the first to go.

I would guess that in the "-10 or -12" range would be about as much as you could go.

BTW: I have family in OK city, Edmon area. Even one by the name Taylor.

I would not expect that she would have bought a system with consulting me...so I don't think we are family...well now your part of the extended Klipsch family.