Who was FSB who changed the Heresy crossover network mount point ?

mfk

Y'know, the HI had an elegant plate for the crossover, and the HII, all of a sudden puts the crossover on the back of the input terminal, it may have saved a couple of buck in production, but please tell me there is another answer.

Yes and sometimes the heavy autotransformer just breaks off the plastic input terminal cup and hangs by the wires. You can do a rebuild on a board and move the crossover to the bottom of the cabinet.

Bob Crites

Bob, I'm already one of your customers, your work is beautiful. Pulling out the old crossovers and putting your crossovers in was a pleasure...

I may need pair of crossovers for my new HII's soon. That or I'll get the HIII conversion kits. Just got a hold of a pair of 2001 HII's...they are beautiful.

The RF*-52 stuff was really good, guess I'm just used to the Heritage sound.

Yes and sometimes the heavy autotransformer just breaks off the plastic input terminal cup and hangs by the wires. You can do a rebuild on a board and move the crossover to the bottom of the cabinet. Bob Crites

Exactly!! I have had several pairs of H-II's in my Heresy refinishing "career"... with that problem. Finally whenI had a pair about a year or two ago that, not only were the components "hanging off", the plastic was so badly cracked that I had to send the crossover units to Bob who mounted them on boards. I kept that pair of crossover boards (and a pair of stripped round cups and square cups) just to test H-II's after I refinish them and re-install the drivers.

When a H-II is dropped, two things can happen.... (even if there is no apparent cosmetic damage) first, the weight of the K53 (translated into inertia...) can crack the horn area around the flange, or worse break it off. And second, the crossover parts keep going.... shearing off the plastic PCB, and the cup mounting areas.

I've taken to shipping H-II's with the mid horn/driver disconnected and packed separately. When they arrive, the new owner screws them on with the supplied gasket and drives on.

On that note, anyone who buys a used pair of H-II's off eBay, etc (IOW from someone who is not a Forum member) needs to be very wary of "minor cosmetic damage", etc. I suspect there are a number of H-II's with cracked 701 horns and the owners do not even know it.