Sacd...wow!

avman

Willjam,

That is because there is no bass management on most DVD-A and SACD players. This generally means your sub will only be getting the .1 material (full range signal to all the other channels) from the External Inputs and bypassing the DSP's on your receiver/pre-pro. If you are listening in 2-channel (from the SACD) and are still using the External Inputs on your receiver, your mains will be handling the entire bass load.

Another solution for this (I can't use the speaker level inputs because I have a separate amp driving the sub, and it's passive) is to pick up an ICBM from Outlaw Audio ($249). Here you would run the 6 analog cables from your SACD/DVD-A to the ICBM, and then 6 more from the ICBM to the receiver's External Inputs. You would set everything to LARGE on your SACD/DVD-A so that a full signal is sent to the ICBM. You can then program the ICBM crossovers for each channel (40 - 120hz in 20hz increments). If you had 6 channels of separate amplification (outside your receiver/pre-pro), you could place the ICBM between your receiver and the amp(s) and do the same thing, except now it would be for all sources... not just SACD/DVD-A. Just another thought...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-21-2002 at 02:30 PM

Mike,I understand your explanation in the second paragraph of your post.Since I am about to leave for work,and do not care to expend the required brain power right now,can you explain the effect placing the ICBM between my receiver(3801)and my Acurus amps might have in relation to the fixed crossover in my receiver.Any thoughts/ideas from anyone are appreciated.

Keith

Keith,

Not quite sure how it works (I'm in the same situation as you with my 4800 except I only have 3 channels of outside amplification at the moment with my A200X3) but from their website they say the following:

In addition to performing this mandatory function for DVD-Audio or SACD, the ICBM may also substitute for a pre-amp's own bass management circuitry.

Unfortunately, they don't go into the details but an Email to them would probably clear it up. I think I am going to get one and will start out with it in between my DVD-A and 4800. When I find the 2-channel amp I am looking for I will then place it in between my 2 amps and 4800. For those of us with fixed crossovers in our receivers (and no bass mgmt in our DVD-A), it's certainly a piece worth thinking about...

Mike

Edit: After downloading the Owner's Manual, it says by setting all speakers to LARGE and subwoofer to ON from the receiver, that in effect will deactivate the bass mgmt in the receiver (or processor) and passes it on to the ICBM.

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-21-2002 at 02:56 PM

keith, the icbm is in essence a dsp that provides some variable bass mgmt like mike explained. though i don't think it would be of use w/ your ksw powered towers, because the ksw uses a high pass filter of around 90hz on the high drivers.

the icbm it seems would come in handy where u have a fixed crossover in the receiver/prepro dsp, large full-range speaks connected to any of the speaker terminals, and a seperate capable sub connected to the

sub preout that is playing some of the same material as that going to the speakers.

or, as mike said, in the case of dvd-audio or sacd using the external analog inputs, u will get output from the icbm sub preout even if the player & receiver/prepro is only outputting to the front 2 channels. but, u get that anyway as the ksw high & low levels are connected w/ jumpers.

the icbm is just a dsp for flexible bass mgmt that goes

in where u are getting none, such as between a player & direct analog inputs of a receiver/prepro, or between

preamp outs & power ins.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Yeah, I agree. My Chorus II's are rated at 39hz so I think I will start my mains out at 40hz (not much overlap there). The Chorus rears however only extend to 45hz so I think I will start them out at 60hz. The KLF-C7 is rated at 75hz so will start that at 80hz. I will play around with it a bit on some DVD-A's that I am familiar with. Real curious to see the differences with the DD 5.1/DTS DVD's between the External Inputs and the digital cable. I will let you know my thoughts on that as well. I think I already like the sound thru the analog cables and that's without any bass management...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

That's correct. It will start out life as DVD-A only but when I finally get the 2-channel amp I'm lookin' for, will run it between the 2 amps and the Denon. Hey, when you come down to about $700, I'll take it off your hands. Smile.gif

avman, my huble apologies for bustin' into your thread like this...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

boa, ever thought about getting into the used car business :^)? I almost wish I needed another good amp,almost!

Thanks for the comments on the Outlaw piece.Seems like it may be useful and the price is right.I'll have to do a little research down the road.Haven't had much time to listen to the DVD-A stuff but what I've heard sounds great.Somewhat different that a GOOD DTS audio disc,just different.Further research required.Anywho,thanks for the info.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Lindsey:

Willjam,

That is because there is no bass management on most DVD-A and SACD players.....

Another solution for this (I can't use the speaker level inputs because I have a separate amp driving the sub, and it's passive) is to pick up an ICBM from Outlaw Audio ($249).

Thanks Mike and all that is contributing to this thread, I will check out the ICBM. My player is Sony C222ES which has a bass management feature where I can select 2 channel with subwoofer or without. Does this feature only apply to 2 channel SACDs?

I have 8 analog output jacks plus a coaxial and a toslink cable for digital. I'm using the toslink digital output for regular CDs. I have the 6 jacks Front, Center, Surround and Sub jacks connected to my Denon 6 Channel EXT. I do not have the 2 channel analog jacks connected. I assumed that I did not need to connect these because I was using the digital outputs for regular CDs. The problem arises with no bass from the sub when you have mixed disks SACDs and CDs in the changer. In order to get sound from the SACDs you have to be in 6 channel EXT mode. Regular CDs will play in the mode sans bass. I wonder if I connect the 2 channel analog jacks will this solve my problem. I should have tried this before posting, which I will do and see what results that I get. Do you think there would be a conflict in connecting the 2 channel analog jacks to the analog CD jacks on the receiver.

In other words when the a 2 channel regular CD is playing in 6 channel EXT mode it would use the 2 channel outputs-- (guessing here) but when the receiver is in auto mode it should change to digital output?

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

bill, guess u'll find out but i think all that stereo analog out to your denon cd analog ins does is allow u to play regular cd in analog mode on your denon. some receivers require that instead of a digital connection to record to a cassette tape.

on your sony sacd player sounds like u may have some bass mgmt. if u play an sacd disk using ext-in without any output to the sub (like sacd 2.0) do u still get sub output? i don't know haow it works. may want to read up on that sub or no sub feature, or maybe someone

else can answer. if the bass sounds kinda muttled using the ext-in & playing an sacd disk, the icbm may be for U. (maybe outlaw should pay me commissions Smile.gif).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

thanks jts. i'll check it out. every dvd-audio disk i've seen that also comes w/ a dts 5.1 soundtrack that plays on a dvd-video player has the regular 48k bitstream on it. looks like this new dvd-audio dts disk, Queen: A Night at the Opera, comes w/ a 96/24 dts

soundtrack playable on a regular dvd-video player.

i just want to see a 96k bitstream on my processor. Smile.gif switched to a local fm station today & noticed the bitstream was 96k. but that's fm Frown.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Great! Glad SACD is so liked. Can't wait until I get my player in

I'll see how good it really is.....

------------------

Music system:(2 ch)

1 pair of Dynaudio Evidences, Krell Master Reference Subwoofer, 2 Mark Levinson No. 33 amps, Mark Levinson No. 32 pre amp, Jadis JD-1 CD player, LINN Sondek lp12 turntable, (SACD on the way) McIntosh MR7084 tuner, and Nakamichi ZX-9 tape.

Movie system: (7.1 ch)

4 KLIPSCHORNS(left, right, rear right, rear center, La Scala center, left, right, rear. McIntosh MX130 preamp, Bryston 7B ST's all around. Aerial Acoustics Model SW12 Subwoofer.

PC audio set up.

Denon 5800, klipsch RB5's, RC3's. and Rs3's. Klipsch KSW 15 Subwoofer.

quote:

Originally posted by klipschy:

Great! Glad SACD is so liked. Can't wait until I get my player in

I'll see how good it really is.....

Klipschy, what player are you getting? SACD is great and it also makes a great CD player as well.

Let us know.

I still working on my problem - hopefully will find a solution soon.

Bill J.

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

Well, I finally heard dvd audio and regular cd. Was listening to Deep Purples "Machine Head", Highway Star, and it makes me want to throw out my cd collection. The amplification was Musical Fidelity, the speakers were Monitor Audio GR60's and the rest was OUCH Smile.gif

CD sounded tunneled, the sounds of the cymbal on DA was wild to say the least. So destinctive. For the money, excellent, Toshiba 5700 at $350(cdn)was the player(yup), works. Just wish Marantz would be practical as an owner.

I heard the Eagles Hotel California and it reminds me of the 77 tour and reunion I saw, so much depth. Would love to hear Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells through tubes, and my Khorns in 2 channel, in either SACD or DVD Audio Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 01-27-2002 at 01:27 AM