New Forte owner questions

sberger

Sberger:

Consider a cap upgrade or network replacement in your Forte's, and find out what you are missing. I have FIVE Forte's, all with networks replaced, and they can really sing. Enjoy!!

Chris

Chris,

What's involved in doing this? I'm not a big dyi guy.

So it turns out that one of my passive woofer cones in the back of one of the Fortes is pressed in somewhat. I took the cone out, and tried to press it out, but couldn't. The speaker sounds fine, but what impact could this have on it, and should I think about replacing it?

Well, things are sounding remarkably better today after doing a more precise speaker set up. I measured so I got them exactly the same amount off the back wall, and got them as far apart as I could. Mind you , I have a very small living room, and one speaker is going to be closer to the side wall than the other. And I'm not going to be able to get exactly the distance from the speakers as they are apart, but the sound is much more improved. Bigger soundstage, less harsh, more bass. Yup, speaker set up is important, and obviously, I didn't do as good as job as I should have originally. Things are really starting to snap into place, and this acquisition is making more and more sense.

Glad to hear it is all coming together. playing around with placement and equipment is all part of the journey, this hobby wouldn't be much fun if it was all just plug and play. If you are lucky, you will find someone in your area to share the fun with.

Tom

Tom,

You're right. And I guess I knew that, but for some reason the Heresy's weren't as sensitive to placement as the Forte's are. No matter, I'm glad I took what amounted to a few minutes and got it as right as I can for now.

Thanks for your comments.

Even if you are not a big DYI person (which I am most definitely NOT) you should consider replacing the X-over and possibly the diaphragm for the tweeters. I did both and the results were impressive and easily heard. There are two guys that I know who do the X-over -- Bob Crites and Chris Munson a.k.a. Popbumper, who answered an earlier post on this thread.

With the X-over, you just pull out the passive radiator on the rear of the speaker to create a space to make your connections. Then you pull off the speaker connection cap, snip the wires on the old X-over, which is affixed to the rear of the cap (after making sure you know where the wires are connected), connect the new X-over and voila! As for the diaphragm, it is even simpler: you just remove some screws, pull out the old diaphragm and put in the new one. About a 10-minutes process max on each speaker.

If you think your speakers sing now, you're in for a real treat.

Even if you are not a big DYI person (which I am most definitely NOT) you should consider replacing the X-over and possibly the diaphragm for the tweeters.  I did both and the results were impressive and easily heard.  There are two guys that I know who do the X-over -- Bob Crites and Chris Munson a.k.a. Popbumper, who answered an earlier post on this thread.

With the X-over, you just pull out the passive radiator on the rear of the speaker to create a space to make your connections.  Then you pull off the speaker connection cap, snip the wires on the old X-over, which is affixed to the rear of the cap (after making sure you know where the wires are connected), connect the new X-over and voila!  As for the diaphragm, it is even simpler: you just remove some screws, pull out the old diaphragm and put in the new one.  About a 10-minutes process max on each speaker.

I'm picking a pair of Forte II's on Monday. What do you replace the tweeter diaphragm with? Just a new one or is there a mod?

While I'm pretty certain I'm going to do the crossover replacement, I must say that doing a little work to get the speakers placed right has paid huge huge dividends. No more murkiness,just strong bass, great clarity, and a huge, wonderful soundtage. I pulled the speakers out about 5 or so feet from the back wall(as far as I could) and now I have terrific sound, and instruments and vocals floating above and to the sides of each speaker. While I don't doubt the improvement that can be had from crossover replacement, I must say I'm not as anxious about it any longer.

Where do U buy the new crossover from? Are there certain ones that are better than others?

John, from earlier in the thread:

Even if you are not a big DYI person (which I am most definitely
NOT) you should consider replacing the X-over and possibly the
diaphragm for the tweeters. I did both and the results were impressive
and easily heard. There are two guys that I know who do the X-over --
Bob Crites and Chris Munson a.k.a. Popbumper, who answered an earlier
post on this thread.

With the X-over, you just pull out the
passive radiator on the rear of the speaker to create a space to make
your connections. Then you pull off the speaker connection cap, snip
the wires on the old X-over, which is affixed to the rear of the cap
(after making sure you know where the wires are connected), connect the
new X-over and voila! As for the diaphragm, it is even simpler: you
just remove some screws, pull out the old diaphragm and put in the new
one. About a 10-minutes process max on each speaker.