Need Receiver Advice

jbd

I am looking to upgrade my receiver and wanted some advice. I am looking to spend about $500-$600 and was looking at some Yamaha models.

My system:

Quintet III

Sub 10

Panasonic 53 inch LCD

Panasonic Upconvert DVD

Do I need to worry about the max output from a receiver and the max input the satelites can handle?

Thanks,

I heard good things about Yamaha. As for connections, I currently have my Comcast box with component video going to my TV and an optical going to the receiver. I know an HDMI from the cable box to the tv will give me a digital picture and digital sound. What is the best connection from the cable box to the receiver?

Is the HDMI cable a lot better than component video?

Do I need to worry about the max output from a receiver and the max input the satelites can handle?

Not really within reason. You want a clean amp with enough power to handle transiant signal peaks without clipping. If you push the volume to the point of distortion you're to loud, back off, bad for your ears anyway.

Hdmi is digital, component is analog. I read alot of people saying HDMI gives a slightly sharper chrisper picture & component slightly better colors. I've never tried component.

Thanks,

I heard good things about Yamaha. As for connections, I currently have my Comcast box with component video going to my TV and an optical going to the receiver. I know an HDMI from the cable box to the tv will give me a digital picture and digital sound. What is the best connection from the cable box to the receiver?

If you get a Yamaha most of them have 2 or more HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. You could just connect the cable box to the amp and the amp to tv. My reciever is the RX-V1800 and I have the possibility to input 4 HDMI and output 1, also all combinations of Composite or normal video input to HDMI is also possible. My model also upscales. The HDMI is "better" because audio and video goes over one cable.

At the present my DVD is connected Video over Comp. Audio over Coax, DVB-T is normal video and analog connections. Then with HDMI to my TV. Works like a charm.

The good thing about this IMO is you do not have to change TV inputs and everything is controlled over the reciever.

Hope that helps

Ran

It sounds like I can connect my cable box to receiver via HDMI for digital audio and video and the the receiver to TV via HDMI to produce digital sound and a digital picture. What is the optimal connection for the DVD player? I thought things were good now, but after joining the forum, I realize that I have been missing out!

As explain above, most of the receivers have 2 or more HDMI inputs.You can use one for the DVD and one for the cable box. With the HDMI output connected to the TV, the receiver will do the sound decoding while sending the video digital signal to the TV.

This way you have less cables, you are fully digital and an easier set up

If you can see a difference in a component feed versus a HDMI feed from your cable box, I'd be very surprised. I use HDMI for my interconnects on all my components BUT my cable box. It prevents having to go through a HDMI handshake every time you change channels (at least in my setup it does). Channel changing is much faster and to me the picture is equal. I use optical for the sound.