RF-7: DeanG mod vs new amp vs new AVR?

maseline_98

I was wondering what would be more beneficial to my sound experience for my RF-7s. $$$$ is a little tight or else I would probably do both(which in time I will eventually), but my question is, which one should I do first? Currently I am powering them with my Marantz SR-8400, but I was leaning on getting a Rotel RB-1080(which seems to be a pretty good match with 7s) and still using my marantz as a pre. Of course, I would go with another amp option as well, but for the price, it seems to fit well with the 7s. I have also considered getting a new AVR with HDMI 1.3a for TrueHD sound for a HT experience, but it doesn't seem to be in my budget.

Reason for the change:

1. They just don't seem to produce enough bass for me and the highs are a little bright(but I still like the way the highs sound). I run them with my SVS 20-39 PC+ (I would like to remove my sub and put it in another room).

2. Always seem to have an upgrade bug.

Couple stream of concousness thoughts:

1. I like my main speaker network upgrades I may just do my center channel someday.

2. Do the networks first and enjoy the improvment while you evaluate other improvments in the system.

3. RF-7s are overkill for most HT rooms of modest size. I would go with smaller mains and larger center for a dedicated HT room IF you are committted to your RF-7s in a 2 channel room only.

4. Unfortunately, to my snobish ears, very few HT receivers are amazing for music only listening. Far too much jitter causing ICs in HT preamp sections for music not to be edgy. My NAD 3020 SS integrated in my bedrrom is more musical than most mass market AVRs. B&K AVR was the best I ever heard.

Sounds like you are making good assessments of what direction to go.

If you plan on keeping the RF-7's and eventually buying different equipment to use with them, get the networks done first and be done with it.

If you're going to use the 7's for 2 channel, you're not going to want to use an AVR, you'll eventually want separates. If you want to use them for home theater, at least the networks will be done. My 2 cents.