Seperate amps. low watt Tubes vs high watt solid state?

plissken99

"If you guys go with the XTi, I would recommend the 1000 and not the larger versions....simply because the gain is less, which will help you get more resolution outta the DSP on the amp. It's only 3dB difference between the 1000 and 2000, but that might make the difference between audible digital noise in a very quiet room. If your noise floor isn't uber low, then there's no sense in worrying about it."

So your saying the 2000 might create some noise when turned up to higher levels? If so then the 10000 would defnitly be the wiser choice.

Oh, I found the 2000 for $450 from a site(don't feel like Googling atm), that is the B stock price.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you guys go with the XTi, I would recommend the 1000 and not the larger versions....simply because the gain is less, which will help you get more resolution outta the DSP on the amp. It's only 3dB difference between the 1000 and 2000, but that might make the difference between audible digital noise in a very quiet room. If your noise floor isn't uber low, then there's no sense in worrying about it."

So your saying the 2000 might create some noise when turned up to higher levels? If so then the 10000 would defnitly be the wiser choice.

Oh, I found the 2000 for $450 from a site(don't feel like Googling atm), that is the B stock price.

You have it backwards. There would be greater noise at the lower levels.

I assume Mike is talking about quantization noise, although with sigma delta modulation (which I assume they are using), this is less of a headache now days. Besides the quantization noise is quite likely below the ambient noise (and possibly the electrical noise) of your system.

-Tom

I keep forgetting to list what I like to listen too and room size. The room is 22x15.5ft. The system is primarily for movies, but more and more I enjoy music on it, especially concert DVDs. I primarily like rock(ranging from heavy metal to southern rock to grunge and everything in between), with some blues and Nine Inch Nails(as their pretty much in a catagory all their own). Steve Vai and Joe Satriani on a Klipsch system is audio bliss!

I already have a great sub in the SVS PB2+, two 12in downfiring woofers with a 900w amp in it. So your saying the RF-7s don't require 300w or more to live up to their potential? Even a good 200wpc amp will do?

I have thought about getting a 2ch tube amp for the front channels, and a 5 channel amp to drive the rest. But would it sound odd or uneven somehow?

With what you described in your music tastes, after you get an XTI 2000, you'll be getting two more RF-7's!!! Concert dvd's.........sweet.

Just an idea...

With the price being charged for most multi-channel amps for home theater, it is almost more economical to purchase 2 or even 3 Crown XTis and realize the improvement in quality the separates offer over the combo rig with a shared power supply.

My personal desire would be to see the major reciever manufacturers - Denon, Yamaha, HK, etc. offer just their front end pre/processors sans amp section at a reduced price, allowing for those who wish to use separates. The notion of having to often pay many times the cost of the entire receiver just to get a pre/processor is a bit much.

You have it backwards. There would be greater noise at the lower levels.

I assume Mike is talking about quantization noise, although with sigma delta modulation (which I assume they are using), this is less of a headache now days. Besides the quantization noise is quite likely below the ambient noise (and possibly the electrical noise) of your system.

Yea...hiss when the amp is on, but no music playing (or quiet passages of music).

You also get quantization from filters in the DSP in addition to quantization from the DACs...not to mention all of the analog stages in the amp too (higher gain requires more distortion/noise unless the topology changes, which doesn't happen between the models). It's really not a big deal (I'm not saying the 2000 or 4000 are crap), but fundamentally it makes sense to go with the smallest because it's already more power than you will need (usually). In other words, I would be surprised if the higher power models had more fidelity.

I guess really what I'm saying is to consider more than just the power/dollar ratio.

I dunno if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but there ARE alternatives to low watt tubes that don't involve "pro amps"...like outlaw audio for example:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html

I don't think I've heard a negative review yet about these amps (still haven't heard one myself either).