Rebel KSS Home Theatre System- Help!

drivingtheview

I have the Klipsch Rebel KSS-1 Center Channel, KSS-2 Surround Loudspeakers, and KSS-3 Subwoofer. They are approx 10 years old. They have been in a box for the past 5 years. I plan on installing these as my Home Theatre Audio System. My Receiver is an approx. 10 year old Yamaha. I am connecting this system to a new 47" Flat Panel Vizio LCD-HDTV.

Long story short, how do these Klipsch speakers stack-up to much newer speakers? In the audio speaker world, I beleive the latest is not always the greatest. Also, I have no idea about the Vizio built-in speakers and how they integrate with these older speakers. Obviously, I am slightly stuck in the dark ages and wonder about the quality of the current speakers I own installed as a surround system with the latest HDTV technology. I am simply soliciting any opinions from anyone in the know. I obviously don't know much about this! Thank you and I apoligize in advance if this specific subject is referenced somewhere else in this forum (if so, I could not find it).

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums! I am not familiar with the sound of your current speakers but in looking at the KSS1, I think there are several speakers that would be quite an improvement over it. RB-61, RB-51 or even some older model bookshelves like the RB-75 or the RB-5. With a 4" woofer, the KSS1 doesn't push out much in the bottom end. Of course, it depends on your budget, whether or not you could go to a tower speaker etc. Many factors there.

In regards to the question about the speakers on your TV, turn them off. Use the Klipsch speakers only.

You are the man. I appreciate the reply. I'm still working on the budget. I finished a basement which only cost about 3 times what I originally planned (as well as the new HDTV). Good advice on turning off the TV speaker. I probably would not have done that. I am a dormant audiophile who is about to wake back up (done having children). Problem is, what was high-tech 8-10 years ago is ancient history. I may try to hook up all of my current Klipsch speakers and see what it sounds like.

A couple of other dumb questions. Should I hook up the satelite speakers through my subwoofer? What are the pros/cons of doing this (I have no idea)? Also, any recommendations on a new pair of in-ceiling speakers that would compliment my old KSS system? Thanks again.

• Moderators

You are right. Technology has changed a lot over the past 10 years. I do not see any info on the KSS-3 subwoofer on the Klipsch discontinued products but I did find a Rebel 7 speaker set that has a subwoofer with it. Is this what you have? I am not unsure what kind of connection options you have with that particular sub so let me ask a few questions. Does your Yamaha have a subwoofer output on the back? Does your Subwoofer have an rca input? If so, I would come straight out of the Receiver into the Sub with a subwoofer cable. What is the model number of your Yamaha receiver? Is the Yamaha Dolby Digital or Dolby Prologic? If it is Prologic, I would HIGHLY suggest at least stepping up to a Dolby Digital Receiver. You get a lot of benefits there (true 5.1 sounds, full range in the rears, dedicated sound to each speaker and sub etc). I picked up a nice used HK Dolby Digital Receiver for $100.00. If you have a 5.1 receiver, you will be able to go directly from the receiver to each individual speaker. This is the best method to use to connect your speakers.

Most subwoofers have speaker inputs on the back. It is possible to come out of your receiver to the sub, then out of the sub to the front speakers. This basically uses the subwoofers crossover to remove most of the bass from the front speakers. I would not suggest connecting your speakers through your sub unless you have to.

I have no recommendations on in-ceiling speakers except don't get them. [:P] I have never been fond of in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. To me it sounds unnatural to have sound coming down from the ceiling. IMO, you will get a more fulfilling sound in a good set of regular speakers.

I'm no audiophile by any means so take my advice for what it is worth (possibly nothing). [:D] There are many people in the Klipsch forums that can provide you with much more insight than I can but hope it helps anyways. No questions are dumb. We are all learning...just at different stages.

I have 3 KSS-2s that I uses as a front stage in a gameroom setup. Two okf them were originally purchased for surround use only and they worked well in that situation. I have since purchace a second set and use 1 of those as a center. I have no experience with the matching sub and had difficulty matching any of my existing subs to them. I took a chance on a SW-8 sub based on specs and have been pleasently surprised with the blend. I run the fronts L/R as large and feed directly to the speaker level of the sub, then out of the sub to the front. This takes advantage of the subs 120hz high pass xover with the KSS-2s 115hz bottom end. Not the ideal design concept but it provides a good sound.I set the center to small. It was a small investment for the SW-8, less than 100 deliverd from ebay. Well worth the money.

Thanks for the great info. The Rebel 7 Sub looks identical to mine but I found a link to the one that I have: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/k-rsw.aspx (it is called the K-RSW). My Yamaha Receiver model # is: RX-V793 and it is indeed Dolby Digital. My Yamaha Receiver also has a subwoofer output. My sub has an RCA input as well. So I assume I need to come out of my receiver to my sub with RCA cables (not speaker wire)? And I agree about coming directly into my receiver with my satelite speakers for a more rich sound. I will also use these speakers for music. I may have to get the ceiling speakers because of a couple of reasons. I do not have any other speaker options near the rear of the room (besides wireless, which is not an option), and I also have a bar directly behind my seating area and I will want to use the in-ceiling speakers for music more than anything else. Therefore, I will probably go with a Klipsch model for continuity and quality.

Do you have a 4th & 5th "rear" speaker for surround sound? Thanks again. This is very nice information for me.

Do you have a 4th & 5th "rear" speaker for surround sound? Thanks again. This is very nice information for me.

Yes, you do. A 5.1 system would have three speakers in front and two in the rear. The ".1" is the sub. A 7.1 system adds left and right side speakers, for seven speakers and the sub (it being a speaker, too. Just don't want to confuse anyone).

Bruce

• Moderators

THX website shows a 5.1 Layout and a 7.1 Layout to give you a visual of how the speakers are recommended to be setup. The 5.1 Layout shows two rear speakers on the side walls. Many in the forums suggest using two speakers on the back wall facing towards the front of the room. In your case, the rear speakers would be placed slightly behind the listening area downwards. The Dolby Website has diagrams as well.

Audioholics has some good articles for home theater as well. I just watched the video of Installing Surround Sound Speakers. I have not ran rear speakers in the current house that we are renting because I did not want to go under the carpet with the speaker wires. The video shows you some cool tips on how to install it through the attic and actually run the wire down the walls.