THX Ultra2 vs. non-THX

Kynergy

THX Ultra2 is regarded as high standard and is also a successful marketing tool. One thing I am not clear is how the THX Ultra2 certified products vs. those that are without that mark or simply did not participate this game. A lot of high end speakers do not relate themselves to the THX standard at all.

e.g. Klipsch THX Ultra2 are highly praised by people and so are reference 83 system. Ultra2 is priced almost twice as reference 83. But from the specs the 83 system looks better than the Ultra2. Of course we can't simply mechanically compare two systems based on specs. So what's the relative performance between the Klipsch Ultra2 and Reference 83 and is the price difference well justified?

A lot of high end speakers do not relate themselves to the THX standard at all.

OK, in electronics like amps and pre amps.. It was a standardization tool. for instance... The sent signal strength to the amps were at a certain voltage...etc etc. (As I found out my Sunfire Theater grand IV would not qualify for Ultra II in the sub signal strength to drive the Klipsch KA1000 ultra II amp..So I needed the sms -1 by velodyne)

As far as speakers...they had to meet certain levels of performance within certain frequency ranges and at certain loudness levels.. You could always over engineer too.. and have better specs...(As klipsch has done)

Some manufacturers just choose NOT to participate, even though they do have the specs... Others obviously could not get the rating because their speakers could NOT get the frequency range needed or enough SPL's... to qualify.

Like anything, it is a standard.... But at least at that standard, you can expect a certain level of performance[:)] And a certain plug in and play = less hassle when hooking things up.

Your almost asking a apples oranges question... The THX Ultra II HT system... 650's...etc etc is a THX ultra II "system" for HT. Will a pair of 650's sound as good as a pair of Ref 83's... I doubt it... but the RF 83 system, at least in stereo.. should be better... Does it.. ?? Up to you to explore.. And in what setting?

I think this is the answer your searching for?

Having sold/set up a number of both systems over the years I feel somwhat qualified to answer the question.

In short, yes, the THX Ultra 2 system is worth the price difference. It comes down to two things...

First is the effortless way the Ultra 2 system reproduces large soundtracks. The commercial horns in them and the way the system loads the room allows for a far larger and more effortless sound than the RF-83 system. It simply sounds more like a state of the art commercial cinema. This assumes you give it the proper amount of horsepower (Receiver based systems need not apply if you want to hear it like it is supposed to sound).

Second is refinement. The Ultra 2 system is one of the rare systems which can deliver utterly furous amounts of sound, but delivers incredibly subtle sound as well. As good as the Reference RT-12d sub is, it is no match for the Ultra 2 sub package.

Don't get me wrong...the RF-83 system is a ridiculously great buy. It sounds absolutely wonderful and as for bang for the buck, it is hard to argue with. I've set up a number of systems using RB-81's behind screen walls and we consider it the THX Ultra 2 Jr system. But...if the budget for the room and electronics allows then there is no doubt the Ultra 2 system is the superior product.

Some of that may be personal experience... Your passion might be different from others?

And I feel some of it is do you have a dedicated room as well?

If you do have a dedicated room - that THX system is really amazing.. So much so, that you do not notice Klipsch upgrading it every 6 months do you? They did it right the first time!

For what it is worth..... I would love to see a Upgrade to that as well. hehehe I know the 550 or 650 is kinda this anyhow?

Don't second guess yourself too much. What you have is in that top 2% of what you can have with Klipsch!

Enjoy what you have!

Yes i have a dedicated room, i began my room treatment, i go with the
dennis eskrine way, dead end- live end way. I really enjoy my speakers,
it's only i want the best klipsch available :)

Dennis is a CEDIA member, I am sure you were guided well. We all want the best as well. What is key here is you really enjoy your speakers. That will overcome any suggestion I, or any installer, or intellectually constipated audioholic forum or otherwise person may have on your experience!

Enjoy what you have!

If you wanted the best heritage.. perhaps 5 or 7 Klipschorns.. (Not very practical.. but the wow factor might be cool! ) I use 7 La Scala's. >>> So call me crazy too.

If you wanted the latest perhaps... That would be the Palladium. It is set soon to go out the door to your dealer..

Or the fully blown THX Ultra 2 set up as well?

For HT use the Ultra 2 speakers like the Klipsch THX package are worth the price. As the standard is set quite high,so the level of performance these must attain is quite high.

You can get better,but prepare to spend several times as much and go with something massive like Danley or JBL packages. Here you no lonfer gravitate around a mere 10-15K we are talking many many times more expensive(complete speaker amp package).

The Klipsch THX system is a great buy.

You can get better,but prepare to spend several times as much and go
with something massive like Danley or JBL packages. Here you no lonfer
gravitate around a mere 10-15K we are talking many many times more
expensive(complete speaker amp package).

Actually, Danley Labs has a package that is equivalently priced to the Ultra 2 system (if you use 7 of the SH-100's and a DTS-20)...but it is more industrial looking and does take more careful acoustic setup because of the dispersion pattern. The Ultra 2 system has a bit more dynamic range, but the Danley is a bit more coherent because all channels are absolutely identical, plus the DTS-20 sub is better. They do have a larger system based around the SH-100B which is a BEAST of a speaker, but there are are getting into higher $$'s. There is also the medium and large JTR packages which need again more careful treatment, a bit more horsepower, but are by far and away the most dynamic (130 db+ from 40 to 20K) and the best buy. I sell all three and like them all for different reasons.

• 1 month later...

Not soundbroker here... But at least 200 WPC.

While not ultra 2 pre amps, but Sunfire and McIntosh will really be nice with this syetem! Again with a 200- 400 wpc amp.

The Aragon Stage One system was/ is incredible, I wish it had HDMI inputs/ outputs, I would of used it downstairs.

http://thx.com/products/home/avreceivers.html