Interior architecture and Heritage speakers

Chris A

One of the major themes on this forum is "how do I integrate those big Klipsch speakers into my room".

As I was watching a special on F.L. Wright (i.e., S.C. Johnson building, Fallingwater, the Guggenheim, Taliesin East and West, etc.) I started thinking about how it might be possible to better integrate the design of PWK's speaker designs into either a two-channel or a "X.1" HT design. I see that many folks build separate HTs, but I'm not sure
that is the answer I would choose, since this is very wasteful of space that could be used for other purposes. For instance, an approach might be
to build corner bookshelves/floorstanding speakers (such as CWs and
Heresy's), referring to the picture enclosed, but with speakers
integrated into the corners instead on stands in the room.

I'm thinking about speakers, cabling, electronics racks, and CD/DVD/vinyl racks. In particular, I'm thinking about the larger speakers such as Khorns or Jubs but I'm not trying to limit discussion to just to those types. Note: I'm not talking about turning the whole wall into a horn, etc. I'm talking about more realistic approaches.

Any thoughts or pictures?

Chris

post-28404-1381935951849_thumb.jpg

?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=1179d798

This was a friends and it caught our eye. Wire screen in the lower doors. We are thinking about something similar as all gear reses in the living room which is open to the kitchen. KHorns are a good bit taller than the counter, but if the finishes look good together I'd probably really like it. A lot of choice seems dictated by what you have to work around. Doors, windows, traffic flow, etc when it's not a dedicated room.

?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=1179d798

This was a friends and it caught our eye. Wire screen in the lower doors. We are thinking about something similar as all gear reses in the living room which is open to the kitchen. KHorns are a good bit taller than the counter, but if the finishes look good together I'd probably really like it. A lot of choice seems dictated by what you have to work around. Doors, windows, traffic flow, etc when it's not a dedicated room.

Did you post a pic or a URL to a pic? On another note: I was looking at some HT pix and saw something for the "corners" that looked interesting.

http://www.sihometheater.com/photos/displayimage.php?pid=80&fullsize=1

Although this isn't a regular room or the actual corners of the room, I think the idea is there.

I guess my perspective is that a dedicateed room is more sole purpose. When you use a living room the aesthetic issues may change, as well as lots of other issues. Protection of equipment etc etc. Was just showing a way to skin the cat between the corners. All my walls have doors, sliders, windows or something.

I guess my perspective is that a dedicateed room is more sole purpose. When you use a living room the aesthetic issues may change, as well as lots of other issues. Protection of equipment etc etc. Was just showing a way to skin the cat between the corners. All my walls have doors, sliders, windows or something.

True that (the sole purpose comment). Note that I still cannot see your pic-are you uploading via the "Options" tab, then "Add/Update" button?

This is what I currently am looking at:

post-28404-13819359553208_thumb.gif

If your friend's speakers are in the picture then your friend has an
outstanding way to integrate them into the room [:$] I don't see them.

But the wire screen front is good in this shot. My wife thinks that
our horns themselves are a conversation piece, albeit in a more finished condition such as walnut or rosewood bass cabinet fronts.

I actually have another problem - I use bass traps above my speakers that I'd like to hide (see pic below). I'm thinking about bookcases above my speakers in the corners but they are going to be interesting to build and still house the big horns below them. I'd like to find a more generic solution than custom-built bookcases but that approach may be the best looking. The idea about screens in front is much more "generic" and easy to construct. But, you point out that this solution doesn't lend itself to real multi-purpose room implementation.

I've seen a picture of Cornwalls integrated down low into an entertainment center similar to the one you show. It was very good looking. The advantage of the Cornwalls is that their ports are on the front, allowing them to be mounted flush into an entertainment center. The Jubilees I show actually radiate directly into the room with no ports on the back. I'm trolling for ideas on how to integrate these type of units and also electronics and CD/DVD libraries.

post-28404-13819359554938_thumb.gif

Your picture helps a lot since I can see where you are starting from. Here's some advice worth what you paid for it!

Assumming that's the space we're talking about, the fireplace isn't going anywhere and most things you do on the sides will make it appear "recessed" or back in a tunnel a bit. One solution would be just to get your jubs where you want them and build false walls above and around. Shelves or whatever you want, you could hide wires, low cost in relation to custom furniture and it would look like it was made that way. The problem might be it would effectively shorten the room and you get that recessed fireplace look.

As far as bass traps your always going to have corners and you just have to decide if/what you want there. If you went with the false wall type approach you could use a material that might effectively make all surfaces less reflective. I'm trying to do it with tapestries, and softer art on the walls rather than a lot of drywall and harder surfaced pictures. I admit I'm probably mroe concerned with how our living room looks that bass traps hanging here and there so you can ignore all that I just said!

Another idea, and I have no clue if this is your style, but I really find this interesting is something from IKEA. It's got a bit of an industrial feel, and my wife doesn't want to go there, but from a cost and functionality standpoint, if you like the appearance it might be a solution for you. I kind of liked the idea with our KHorns, but I agree with her that it isn't the right feel for our living room.

Here's a link - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29848050

Now what I think is intesting about this is that it could be angles a bit like your speakers. The panel behind the TV hides wires, you can add the shelves, probably one of more of those CD DVD storage things. Tone down the vertial poles with fabric or plastic or whatever wrap (like covering a shower rod). The TV shelf part http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/range/10364/12814/ could be your bass traps mount.

Just food for thought - if you do like the style think jubs with the shelf and screen over the speakers maybe, and you like the tech type look, you could paint or tile the fireplace perhaps to get it all in the same vein.

I could be way off the mark here ...

post-27947-13819359572086_thumb.jpg

Bet that Dark Side of the Moon sound great in there!

It does...[H] So does Buddy Guy's Blues Singer.

Good ideas, thanks. It opens up the options. I need to set up a list of alternatives and weigh the WAF of each with the boss. I didn't know about and didn't think about IKEA storage and mounting hardware--I'll have to visit my local store. IKEA apparently believes in economy of store locations--our store is a 1+ hour drive from our hacienda.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Roger (Indy) has a dedicated Ht room, but he did something similar to what you are talking about. The only thing he did different was instead of having shelves or cabinets, he just put an angled wall that his theater curtains wrap around in the front and is covered with cloth I think, in the rear. It's hard to explain, but looks great, you see no speakers in the corners. He also added some insulation to cut down the chance of any unusual sounds from the corners.

Sounds and looks great ! I will send him a message to try and get him to explain this better.

Thanks DTel I think it turned out pretty good too. Remember speakers on a shelf need some room to breathe.. I have heard what were supposed to be pretty good bookshelf speakers on bookshelves that sound pretty aweful!

We "call em bookshelf speakers," but 9 times out of 10 they are better on stands..

post-5910-1381936062847_thumb.jpg

The room itself is a room within a room.

The curtains can be pulled in front of the screen to create a stage for singing karaoke. (Lights in the back)

The skrims cover a La Scala and a sub on the left... a La Scala center... a sub and La Scala on the right.. (The room is 17' wide) The seating position is 16 feet back from the screen.

I built two more skrims up above the audio speaker ones.. that hide two 27" tv's for those multiple sports days, LOL That way, you have the main action on the big screen and 2 others too. (The side TV's also double for the words to the audience to sing along as well.)

Dtel was right.. There is about 3 1/2 feet behind this area so I could add whatever audio speakers at a future date.. And have room! I loaded this up with insulation to deaden the sound and it seems to work quite well. The side curtains also cut down on reflections from the side walls.. The rear the walls are not 90* they are angled in and also around the surround back speakers have a area to put them into like the front speakers. So the speakers are back hidden with speakers with a skrim and insulation again..Approx 8 feet behind me?

The result? The room has some nice places where sound stops....front and back, but it is also not too dead. (which was my intent with singing.)

Anything you do will be in balance.. Some things will gain great results, some you may not be able to hear at all? There are some great people on this forum that understand it a lot more than me. I just copied a lot what I saw work time and time again and worked it into my own theater.