Soon to be new setup - do I need a seperates amp?

erikill

So within the next couple of weeks I plan on aquiring a set of RF-7s and RC-7. I'm planning on moving the RF-3s to rear back and RS-3s to rear surrounds. I don't plan on getting a sub quite yet - but my receiver can push 120Ws probably to the 7's. I have listened to a set of RF-7s on the Rotel RB-1080. The room is about 24x12 - do you think the amp will be overkill or probably needed?

--Erik

Before buying anything and spending a bunch of money, go buy a set of cables and rent a nice pro power amp to try out, such as the Crown XTI or the QSC PLXII. Money well spent to audition in my point of view. There is no such thing as too much horsepower, unless you are constantly cooking drivers.

More power brings more headroom for peaks and less chance of clipping the outputs. I have however run my PLX 3102 ( 550 wpc into 8 ohm stereo from 20-20khz ) into the slight onset of clipping with dynamic music, driving my RF3II.

Dvd's have increasing demands on power, especially in the main L/R and center channels. Surrounds are less utilized, and do not require the same amounts of reserve. ( except for the occasional disc )

I would agree with everyone here already. I started off with a Sony receiver and now have separates, Outlaw.

The most important thing, sit back and enjoy what you have and determine for yourself. If you think you need more power then go for it. Their are so many companies to choose from it's almost endless.

James

One other thing to think about since you do not have a sub. I assume you have been running the RF3 full range, but the receiver may not be up to the task running the RF7 full range. If you had a capable sub you could set everything to small and crossover the RF7's around 80hz. This would free up the receiver somewhat, since everybody quotes the the RF7 dips to around 2.8 ohms or whatever the spec is. What receiver do you currently have?

Well I had a "sub" and I will use that lightly. I took an old Fischer 12" speaker and hooked it up to an old receiver and took out all the HF and hooked it up to my receiver on the LP side (sub out). I've decided that it doesn't match so I disconnected it (it made the 5 channel stereo music part sound better). My receiver is the Denon AVR-3806 - and that is my concern with full range - but the sub I want isn't quite in my budget yet either (Velodyne DD-12 or DD-15), so I have been concidering the synergy 12 sub since my sister works for BestBuy and can get me the discount on it (since it's not sold on the Magnolia side). But if I went seperates I probably could still get away with no sub and let the amp push the 7's and take strain off the receiver. I wish my audio classes were fresher in my mind (I'm a Computer Engineer but took several audio engineering classes) so I could really make the best of it.

I'm not sure I'm ready for the pro-style yet - the rotel / outlaw / etc are more of what I'm looking at right now. Once I get my next house with a basement, I'll go for the throw you on your rear loud. My gf's dad has a set of Dunlavy VI's I gotta compete against one day :-P