DIY subwoofer advice

wuzzzer

Let me guess...TheBeast replica...[:D] anddo I see a DeWalt...

He he ...well I am placing orders for five more drivers ! [<:o)] The Gotham also floats ... He he

I calculated,the lower part of the small audio room is ~680cu ft ! Now place 8 EBS subs using capable 15 and 18" drivers pushed by over 7KW of power and two sealed pushed by 5KW...what have you got ? Headroom extraordinaire,plus add room gain..... OFF THE CHARTS !

The large room will get all the commercial subs I have to transfer 14 subs there,plus those in place.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who own pseudo subs should at least once hear what a real heavyweight sub can do....dig below pipe organ's lower freq. limit with HUGE OUTPUT.

[:D]

One you go EBS or potent sub a la Gotham,TheBEAST ...Conquest,eD 900 there is no going back. The bass waves just roll... tears in my eyes...ah bass nirvana...[:'(] [:D]

Germany and Austria...two places where you can buy the highest quality power tools and machinery...

Where do you have this machine,maybe I can pass by one day and rent A day ...[;)] The local HD next door has a very precise cutting machine...forgor the name,5HP saw slides top to bottom...can cut the largest sheets damn well. I always ask for two older employees with experience and give them a good tip..they make sure the cuts are to the mm.

After my other tools do a fine job. DIY is fun

A stack of maple for the top and accents..... take a look at the highly figured grain, all hand selected by a VERY fussy cabinetmaker. Was going to go with eight quarter ( 2" thick before resaw and planing ) but figured that four quater would work equally well, and was $ 5.70 a board foot. There was a truck in the way in the back bay of his shop, so I could not get a better picture.

post-9504-1381936053949_thumb.jpg

A few days ago, I worked ( bad storm, rain then snow and it turned bitter cold ) 20 hours straight. Started at 10 am and finished at 6 am the next day.

With erratic hours ( on call 24/7 ) I don't have much time left to DIY. When I have time, I have no facilities, but soon to be taking a few days off to document this build.

At least long weeks at work = $$$$ for all the audio craves. [:D] Now I am debating with me ,myself and I if adding eight subs will be ENOUGH...or maybe dual Acoupower 18"...Genesis device...[:D]

Some XBL 18" drivers from the usual suspects are comming out in a few...months.I am just waiting for these to show up and ...GRAB a pair. Grab a pair...ha ha ha...

Wuzzer became quiet like a buzz less buzzer ! I forgive him , the world of DIY is a very interesting place to be.No longer you buy compromise,YOU decide where it is ok to sacrifice. Or you do like those two workaholics who still find time to buy some woofaz and kick compromise in the ditch.

For me the greatest pleasure is finding the best compromise,tweak it...build the cabinet...install hardware. Fine tune and enjoy. Ah the joy of a job well done.

So Wuzzer....any new thoughts? lol

I've been going back and forth on various changes/upgrades to my system. I did order new crossovers for my Fortes from Bob Crites which should arrive to me today or tomorrow. Once I install those I'll go from there. I'm thinking I'll probably end up upgrading to something like an SVS PB12-Plus/2. I think for now I'm going to wait and see exactly what happens with the Federal Income Tax Rebate plan. My wife and I discussed it and we both agreed to spend our $600 on whatever we want. I figure I could sell my 16-46 between $600-700 and add the $600 rebate to that might put me in the league to take a very serious look at a DIY setup or even look at something like the PB13-Ultra.

In a non DIY sub the best purchase is the Epik Conquest. The single 18" has around 3" max peak to peak ,vented box. HUGE output. Beats an SVS Ultra13 with ease in max output,for sound quality at this level it is nothing major...as both are five star material.

Either way you are set. [:D]

Now the DIY route...dual Mach 5 Audio IXL 18.4's 24cu ft box,dual 8" ports flared to 10"...15Hz tune. 1600W backing it all up... obscene output. For under a GRAND ! Simply cannot beat price performance here. Not even in a distorted dream.

Plus add another pair of CSS SDX 15's and a pair of SoundSplinter RL-p 15's and dual eD's 190 v.2...what have you got ? Output to lay waste to any commercial at any price...for a mere ...few G's including quality Crown amplification.

Arthur......want to see what $ 50K looks like? This saw imported from Germany is HEAVY, and very precise. Utilizes a scoring saw blade as well, counter rotation to the main blade.

Some large hardware stores have similar devices. My local has a vertical saw with a vented sliding blade and a base that can rotate 90 deg. The things I could do with that piece of heaven!!! Now if only it could mitre I'd trade in a car for it...

$50000 is small change for a machine, you should see some heavy duty CNC machines. They make a classic saw look like a caveman device and are priced to match. The most impressive machine that I ever saw when I was just a kid was at the place where my father was the main technical...a huge press capable of several 1000 T of pressure,a HUGE mofo press. Drive under it and PRESS the big button....the motor block would end up a flat crushed piece.

That was a sight to behold,made in the now defunct C.C.C.P. at the time the C.C.C.P. made everything larger than the USA...largest plane,submarine ...name the goliaths...most powerful ice breakers. Fun too look at these machines.Pride and drive makes people build marvels.

$50000 is small change for a machine, you should see some heavy duty CNC machines. They make a classic saw look like a caveman device and are priced to match. The most impressive machine that I ever saw when I was just a kid was at the place where my father was the main technical...a huge press capable of several 1000 T of pressure,a HUGE mofo press. Drive under it and PRESS the big button....the motor block would end up a flat crushed piece.

That was a sight to behold,made in the now defunct C.C.C.P. at the time the C.C.C.P. made everything larger than the USA...largest plane,submarine ...name the goliaths...most powerful ice breakers. Fun too look at these machines.Pride and drive makes people build marvels.

they also fell out the air, feel into the ocean [:P]