looks like blue ray is the winner....

InVeNtOr

well guys i found out some info. i went to the Galeria in Dallas tx to the Sony Style store. i spoke to a rep there and he gave me some info. seems like blue ray has contracts with every movie company except paramount. the paramount contract with HD DVD is only around 18 months.

another piece of info he gave me is quite handy. sony has 3 models of blue ray players. (399-599-1299) those are the prices in the store. first off the 399 and the 599 are the same except the 599 plays hd camcorder movies. the ONLY difference between the 599 and 1299 is coesmetics (it has a glass front and is silver). all 3 players have the same engine and same quality. no difference at all. here is the kicker....if you want the 399 version, it's best to go with a playstation 3. the playstation 3 has the exact same player as the others. the only difference is, the playstation 3 will load up your movie in 25 seconds and the 3 other players will load in 2.5 MINUTES! i couldn't believe it when he told me.

i don't know how many other people know this, but i didn't and it sure changed my mind on what i was going to buy. for the same price i would rather have the playstation, especally if it works better!

anyways thats all, just wanted to spread some info to those who didn't know.

thanks for reading....

So... Good to see you got your info from a neutral party (just kidding)

Actually there's a lot of incorrect information in there... Lets start with the studios: Universal and Weinstein also are still HD exclusive in this mess (although granted, Weinstein hasn't done anything in forever). As far as the 3 Sony Blu-Ray standalones are concerned: the only player that took that long to spin up a disc was the original Sony BDP-S1, however the 300 and 500 models are considerably faster. Besides that, I haven't really checked into the specifics for the different models, but I have a hard time beleiving the processing engines are identical between a $399 player and a $1299 player.

I'm really not trying to be caustic with this post so don't take it as such. It's just as someone who did sell HT equipment I feel the need to keep up with current information is truly paramount, and I hate it when people mislead consumers to make a sale on a device that he wants to sell you.

well if my info is wrong, then the guy lied to me. i did look at the info cards infront of the players, and they were identical. i know it's hard to believe the 599 and 1299 were the same, but they were. if you live in tx go to the galeria and see. the spin up times on all three players were 2.5 minutes vs. the playstation 3 with 25 seconds.

i don't know if he was trying to sell me anything, i came to him and told him i just wanted information, and i wasn't buying anything. i believe he was being honest. next time, if i think about it, i will write down the models that are in the store and post them here.....if anyone even cares enough.

No biggie... just contribute to an existing thread on a topic before starting a new one :) Some of the PS3 pro/cons have been gone over in the other BR threads... contributing to them just helps to perpetuate them even further, and keep the discussion interesting! :)