Advice for a combo home theatre & music system

DaveS

I gave my wife a spa for Christmas, and she gave me a coupon for an hdtv and surround system. I bought a panasonic 50" plasma tv, and am looking to spend about $1000-1500 to get started on the audio side and was wondering about tips on used or out-of-production Klipsch speakers. I listen to music and watch movies about 50-50, so was considering a receiver and surround system so I could switch back and forth from surround to stereo. I have a pair of Heresy's from 1980 that work great and was wondering if or how they might best be incorporated into a system. I was thinking about buying an OnkyoSR505 or better receiver, but see lots of you like HK... My tv and system will go in my living room which is 23x17x9 with area rug over hardwood floor. I see lots of ads on Craigslist for out of production things like KG2, KG4, Synergy product and some F-1s but don't know anything about them. Here are two current examples: 2 SF-2 fronts, SC-1 center, SS-1 surrounds, KSW-10 sub all for $700. Example 2: Denon AVR3000 + 2 KG 2.2V fronts, KV-2 center, unspecified ".5H" bookshelfs, and SW-12 sub, all for $500. I know ideally I should listen to all these systems with lots of music I know and like, but I work way more than full time, have a family, and just don't have the time, plus as you know, lots of the used stuff is not set up & ready to listen to....I'm feeling overwhelmed. Anyone have any elegant, simple thoughts? Thanks, Dave

If you already have a pair of Heresies and you like them, my advice would be to look for more of them on ebay or craigslist etc. Probably would be best to stay in the same "family" of speakers to have a seamless timbre match. Even a single Heresy for a center channel to go with your existing pair as front left and right would be a good starting point. These are very efficient speakers which means that just about any decent receiver will work well with them. Just add more speakers and a sub later if you like. Good luck.

I agree, buy more Heresy's of the same vintage. You should be able to buy 2 more pair for $300-$350/pr. Check the garage sale here, ebay, audiogon & craigslist. You could always sell one to someone needing a heresy center. Freshen the caps if necessary & enjoy. An all Heresy setup will best many, many others. Welcome to the forum.

Dave,

I would have to agree with what the others have said so far. An all Heresy HT sounds great. I had the pleasure of hearing one that belongs to a forum member, Silversport. I have to tell you it sounded great, so great that it had me thinking I could have gone this route instead of the RF-83 setup that I have. You will not be disappointed since you already like the sound of the Heresy.

James

My best advice? Just buy the best you can and whatYOU like...

No amount of magazine articles or what your friends say THEY like, will help you on your quest.

A full Heritage system (older style horn speakers) just rocks for both HT and Music.. Add a good sub syetm and be in heaven!

I did!