Re-Doing Grill Cloth for Cornwalls

dkalsi

I gave my sister a pair of Cornwall IIs for Christman. The orignal owner had spray painted the cane grills black to match his pair of mahogany klipschorns.

The cane grill is not in the best shape and so I decided to re-do the grill cover on them.

I bougth the #17 fabric from Bob C and wanted your guy's suggestions as the best method to redo the grill cloth.

Specifically, what I wanted to know was whether if (those who use Scotch 77 Spray adhesive), are appling the adhesive to all areas where the cloth contacts the grill board or are you only applying it on the back where to cloth wraps around and just staple it there?

Please share your thoughts

Just the section where it contacts the grill board. You should tape off that section if you use the 3M 77.

Some use the spray adhesive, some use regular contact cement. Ralph (Duracrest) specifically recommends DAP contact cement. I use DUCO which is a contact cement.

Below are the Duracrest instructions (Ralph).

1) be sure to sand the surface of the grill board where the old cloth was. The old glue needs to be removed so you have a flat surface.

2) unroll the grill cloth and use the length for the veritical dimension (you can easily get two Cornwalls across the bolt this way).

3) use a thin-spread film of Elmers glue on the front surface of the grill board to adhere the new grill cloth.

4) cut the width and length to allow for about an inch of cloth on the back along each side. Cut a square notch at each corner (this gives one overlap at each corner).

5) use non-flammable (non-solvent based) contact cement on the back perimeter of the grill board (apply to the the grill board and the cloth and press together per the contact cement instructions).

6) if needed, use a hair dryer to tighten the cloth.

The Elmers (which will tack it down while installing) is applied on the front to keep the cloth aligned. On the back where it wraps over about 1" - that's where the contact cement is used. You should not staple the cloth to the Cornwall grills. The grill board is too thin. Look at the photo below. The contact cement is applied under that 1" section of cloth on the back (The photo is a Cornwall grill)

Groomlakearea51 - you the MAN! Thanks a million. Dhar

Thanks for the compliment[:$], but the credit really goes to Ralph at Duracrest who explained it so clearly. It was on a post somewhere, and when I first read it I thought it was so clear and simple (for me...) that I cut and pasted it to an archive file I keep on methods of redoing speakers (and grills...).

Hey Groomlakearea51,

Just attempted to do one of the grills. Everything worked out okay but the you can see the EM glue throught the grill. I used the Scotch 77 spary adhesive for the most part but used the EM glue around the cutouts - I am really really hoping that it dries clear.

i have never used glue on the front side of the grill board. only used the super 77 on the back with the 1 inch over lap. i built over a dozen heresy grills and a half dozen cornwall grills and the more i made the better i got. made them out of 1/8 inch masonite from home depot. 1/4 inch boards were to thick.

the best tip i got was from forum member Greg up in Maine when he said to make sure you get the top section lined up straight across the top. i like to do this part first and let it dry over night clamped with clothes pins.

the second best tip is to make sure your grill board is laying on a hard flat surface. 1/8 boards tend to flex and this is when your cloth will pull away from the board. i think i even used weights to keep the board from flexing. again lots of clothes pins. also if the cloth is not lined up straight you will see this thru the cut outs of the horn sections. after you finish with reclothing, the 4 corners of the cloth will start frayiny a little so i use a grill starter lighter to clean this up. don't get it to close.

the last thing i remember is that the cloth is very similar on the front and back and you could put it on backwards

mistake section. this is funny now but not funny then. my first attempt to shrink the cloth was to spray water on it and let it sit outside in the sun for an hour to tighten it to the board because of the flex when i streched it and glued it. came back and the cloth was laying in the swimming pool. the sun melted the glue and the cloth fell right off.