Denon AVR-5803

oogins

Below is an exact copy of the info I received from Denon Australia in PDF format.

I posted it on the Denon 5800 forum too.

Im also told the cost will be Australian $1499 plus freight to the Sydney Denon headquarters and that a technician will be here from Japan in April/May to do the updates.

As its virtually a new top of the range amplifier with improved components, it sounds great.

New DDSC-Digital Processor, for High-quality Sound Reproduction

1. 24-bit, 192-kHz Analog-to-Digital Conversion

The upgrade-kit is capable of 24-bit, 96-kHz or 192-kHz A/D conversion, improving S/N and dynamic range by approximately 10 dB.

2. 24-bit, 192-kHz Digital Interface Receiver

The upgrade-kit employs a total of four 24-bit, 192-kHz digital interface receivers, one for every two channels, enabling multichannel digital input through DENON Link or external digital input to perform at optimum potential.

3. New SHARC Dual 32-bit Floating Point DSPs

The upgrade-kit uses a dual configuration of new SHARC21161 32-bit floating point DSPs from Analog Devices.

Supports Latest Surround Sound

1. DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 + THX Post Processing

By adding THX Post Processing to the localized sound and spatial expression of DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, your listening room is almost completely transformed into a full-featured cinema.

2. DTS NEO:6

DTS NEO:6 lets you enjoy 2-channel analog, PCM, and Dolby Digital 2-channel sources in full 6.1-channel surround sound.

3. Dolby Digital EX

4. Dolby Pro Logic II

With the upgrade-kit, you can use Dolby Pro Logic II to do more than just enjoy your 2-channel analog, PCM, and Dolby Digital 2-channel sources in surround sound ambiance. You can also add the soundfield effects of THX Post Processing to Dolby Pro Logic II in Movie mode (*1) to brilliantly enhance the excitement of 2-channel A/V sources.

(*1): On Denon A/V receivers, this Movie mode is displayed as MODE CINEMA.

THX Ultra2 (THX Ultra2 Cinema mode / THX MusicMode)

In addition to THX Cinema mode, Lucasfilm Ltd. now offers THX Ultra2 Cinema mode and THX MusicMode. Ultra2 Cinema mode produces appropriate soundfield effects when 5.1-channel movie sources without Dolby Digital Surround EX effects are played in a 7.1-channel system, and THX MusicMode produces appropriate soundfield effects for Dolby Digital, DTS, and other 5.1-channel music sources when they are played in a 7.1-channel system.

Dolby Headphone

Since sound from a headphone enters the ears directly, it can cause fatigue during extended listening sessions. Dolby Headphone replicates the effects of sound from speakers in a room by localizing the sound source at the front or the side as though the listener were enjoying 3D sound at a movie theater. Dolby Headphone is effective not only with Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic but with CD and other 2-channel sources as well. The upgrade-kit also lets you record signals encoded with Dolby Headphone to other recorders so that you can enjoy the effects of Dolby Headphone with a portable MD player or other device. (This is possible with both analog and digital recordings.)

DTS 96/24 5.1 Decoding for DVD-Video High-quality 96-kHz, 24-bit (96/24) sound playback from ordinary DVD-Video recordings is limited to only two channels and there are also limitations on the picture. DVD-Video recorded in DTS 96/24, however, allows high-quality 5.1-channel sound playback in full-quality, full-motion video. DTS 96/24 lets you enjoy both digital output and video output from your existing DVD player.

Adjustable Cross-Over Switching

The upgrade-kit supports subwoofer cross-over switching with a choice of 5 cross-over frequencies: 40, 60, 80, 100, and 120. This lets you more accurately match the performance characteristics of the subwoofer to the main speaker system.

DENON Link

High-grade LPCM 24-bit, 96-kHz, 6-channel or 24-bit, 192-kHz, 2-channel (*2) digital input is possible when the upgrade-kit is connected via a shielded twisted pair (STP) cable to a DVD player that supports DENON Link. Since DENON Link uses low-voltage differential signaling (LVDS), transfer capabilities of greater than 1.2 Gbps at a differential voltage of approximately 0.3 Vpp are possible.

(*2): If a 24-bit, 192-kHz sound source is copyright protected, the DVD player may convert the digital output to a 24-bit, 48-kHz signal.

External Digital Input

For future system expansion, the upgrade-kit provides an external digital input port that supports multi-channel (6-/8-channel PCM) inputfrom an external unit. Multi-channel digital signal input (*3) is possible using a maximum of 4 sets of coaxial digital inputs.

DENON, LTD.

3-16-11 YUSHIMA, BUNKYO-KU, TOKYO 113-0034 JAPAN

www.denon.co.jp

*Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

*THX is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd.

*Dolby, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic II, and the double-D device are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corporation.

*DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Extended Surround and Neo:6 are trademarks of Digital Theater System, Inc.

Regards

Darryl

Very little programming is even THX broadcasted. Furthermore you have to look high and far to find any DVD's that are THX. I've only got 1 THX DVD. This receiver seems to be way ahead of what the movie and tv companies want to produce as mass media to us the consumer. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to make a DTS or 5.1 movie or DVD than it is THX.

un, from what i know thx tech is sound enhancement rather than actual encoding like Dolby Digital EX where surround back info is encoded into the material. maybe some material uses the re-EQ, adaptive decorrelation & timbre matching thx tech in the material itself, but it isn't an encoding/decoding process like dolby & dts, EX or ES.

my pre/pro does the thx stuff after the decoding/processing. i.e., i can apply it to anything, like even dolby prologic.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

In addition to the AVR-5803 in the THX booth, Denon themselves obviously had one in their booth too. Theirs had an acrylic top on it so you could look inside. There was also an upgrade shown for the AVR-5800 that basically upgraded it to 5803 status. Also shown was the new $2500 THX Ultra DVD player - model 9000. It was pretty cool. Well built too.

Jim

hi, just want to tell you im going to 7.1 also soon.. i just got a 2nd pair of KSP S6's for center rears... mind you this new 7.1 EX or ES is only a phantom surround much like prologic was , i guess thats the next thing they are going to up grade is to make it a discreat surround back channels just like your dolby digital is now.. so dont go buy the best reciever out there yet because there will be something new in a year or so.. they will make the surround rears descreat... not just a phantom surround back as it is now.... those guys win again.. making us keep buying new equipment..