Marantz Tube Recommendation

lshannon

Can anyone recommend a set of tubes for the Marantz 8? I bought one for about $1300, but the seller

kept the tubes (now I know why). I called a tube store who described several options with

a range of prices that ranged from reasonable to shocking. I definately want a set of tubes

that do it justice, but am unsure as to which type/brand provides a really meaningful improvement.

I listen to a wide range of music including jazz and gregorian chant (a hangover influence from the

seminary). I'll be using it with a Van Alstine modded Dynakit PAS2.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

- Lee

I like to start with reasonably priced tubes just to get your self going. Later you can experiment with the higher priced vintage tubes if you feel the need. The difference isn't huge in my opinion. In my 8B I like:

SED SVETL EL34. Make sure to get the ones with the winged "C" logo.

Find good pairs of New Old Stock (NOS) RCA 6CG7 and 6GH8 for the other tubes.

Even from a reputable tube soure like a TubeDepot.com, you can get all these tubes for around $200. Then, while you're enjoying your wonderful 8B you can research other tubes.

RE: Not that I need to know but why would you buy this unit without the tubes? JJK

Because I didn't know how much they cost. LKS

RE: Even from a reputable tube soure like a TubeDepot.com, you can get all these tubes for around $200. Then, while you're enjoying your wonderful 8B you can research other tubes.

Before I started the email, I ordered a set of basic tubes from a place called "Vaccum Tubes Inc." with the idea of doing just what you suggested, get it up and going and then spend some time researching and asking others for recommendations.

My previous foray into tube amps were little Antique Sound Lab Wave 8s and their tubes were inexpensive.

I'm really looking forward to getting the amp and getting it checked out and set up.

Thanks for the great information !!

- Lee