SVS PB12-Plus/2 question

wuzzzer

I know I can email SVS for the answer, but I was thinking about upgrading my subwoofer. My question is this: Would having an SVS PB12-Plus/2 with its dual woofers achieve similar performance and smooth out the room response as having two completely separate subwoofer enclosures (such as adding another 16-46 like I already have?)

Two subs will always be better at smoothing room response than a single, more is always better (ask The Ear). You have to weigh that vs. the additional extension the larger sub might bring to the table. If you are happy with the extension your current sub delivers, then add another one. If you wish you had more extension or are not happy with the sound quality from your current sub, then get a new sub.

2 subs can smooth room responses, for sure, but be careful as they can cancel each other out also. Best use a meter when setting them up and tweak the phase to get them dialed in. You'll also loose 3dB by not putting them close together. The +2 is a great sub but I don't think it's tuned as low as the sub you have now. Next to each other, I'd take the 2 16/46's just because of their tuning (for movies). You can always try them apart once you have 2.

Two subs will always be better at smoothing room response than a single, more is always better (ask The Ear). You have to weigh that vs. the additional extension the larger sub might bring to the table. If you are happy with the extension your current sub delivers, then add another one. If you wish you had more extension or are not happy with the sound quality from your current sub, then get a new sub.

Adding a second similar sub won't give you more extension, just more output.

Two subs will always be better at smoothing room response than a single...

Yes and no, and perhaps not for the reasons commonly assumed...

2 subs will not 'fix' room modes that are determined by the resonant frequency (and harmonics) of the room dependent upon its dimensions (functioning as a tuned pipe - with complications due to coupled spaces).

What does tend to mitigate the perceived response is the relative positioning that alters the balance between direct and ambient energy experienced by the listener. And while that can help mitigate the situation if one is sitting in a null, it is not the optimal solution to any of the issues at hand.