New replacement drivers for Chorus II

firedawg24

I currently have a pair of Chorus II's that I've had for 15 years, I have been toying with the idea of upgrading the components.Not for any particular reason except I have travelled across the world with them and my cat thought them to be excellent scratching posts, even the radiator. So I know from reading that Mr Crites produces excellent crossovers, but what drivers are comparable or better, and where could one purchase said drivers and radiator? I've read that eminance made most of them but what are the comparable models if any?

Another reason for this question is the insane idea of creating a sort of Frankenklipsch speaker. Same interior dimension just different on the outside.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, except the advice of "DONT DO IT !!!" I already get that from the Mrs Thanks in advance.

Are you just looking to replace the woofers and passive radiator?

One idea I've been toying around with is switching out the squawker and tweeter with a K510...essentially making it a 2-way design. For the woofer, I think the Eminence Magnum 15" HO should work rather similarly to the K-48, but I think the K-48 replacement can be purchased directly from Klipsch. I think there are some cheaper offerings too, like the Kappa Pro? I have to go check again.

I don't know of any passive radiator on the market that would be a drop-in replacement and I dunno if Klipsch has replacements for them either. It wouldn't be too difficult to design a port to replace the passive (and it could even be done such that it is mounted in a circular baffle that fills up the mounting hole for the passive radiator...making it totally reversable).

I would like to start with the radiator, due to the cat holes. I've since found ,I think, that the Kappa LFA 15 has similar ranges so I guess that would work. I would also like to know what what would work for the mids (k-61) and the tweeter (k-79) that is more for possibley building custom DIY surrounds.

Repairing the tear in the PR would not be that hard, and for its use, probably not change the compliance any significant amount. I had a pair here for a while (they were en route to another forum member), and one of the PRs had been repaired. There was no noticable difference in performance between the two speakers.

You can get the diaphragms replaced in the mid and tweeter, andalso get the crossover brought back to spec (usually all that is needed there is capacitor replacements).

If II had the problem, I would just repair the passive you have.

I've also eyed the PR at Parts Express for a future project, very future.

The problem is that a passive in a given applicaton has a resonance frequency Fs which has to be correct. So you'd have to determine the Fs of what you're replacing. And then adjust the Fs of the replacement to match it.

You'll see that some or all the PRs at PartsExpress have a scheme for attaching masses to tune Fs.

However, I don't know of a way, simple or otherwise, of testing for Fs. Maybe put a microphone up to the passive in free air, Hit is with an impulse, and then see the response on a O'scope .

Comments would be welcome.

Gil

One more thought on upgrading drivers, this is a fairly expensive proposition with fairly limited results. As Marvel mentioned, new diaphragms and crossover caps are a likely path. What I'd emphasize as a bang for the buck champ would be using fresh caps in your crossovers. Bob Crites, BEC, on this forum is an excellent source for caps as close as one can reasonably get to factory spec. These little rascals get resistive and drift off spec after about 20 years or so. If you are a diyer, Bob is a good source for parts. He also does turn key work for those not diy inclined.

I've fooled around with vintage Khorns, LaScala and Heresy and been pleasantly amazed at the difference and improvement of just returning old crossovers to factory spec. Refreshing the caps is a project that the Mrs could appreciate.

On new diaphragms, they would be new ok, but I wouldn't expect to hear any difference in sound. My take on these drivers, if they work they are pretty good. Hearing an appreciable difference (improvement) from a well used driver and a new one would be a tough one.

Most likely I will just repair the tear, as I don't really notice a difference since the tear. As far as the crossovers go does anyone know how much Mr Crites replacement croosovers go for? I have only seen the Herseys on ebay as well as the AA's. I ask about the mids and tweeters only for a "good to know" factor for possible future DIY surrounds.