Sub Test tracks

colterphoto1

Guys, I need your help. I know this has been discussed here before, maybe someone could throw me a link to it.

We're implementing a new media server listening system for our auditioning rooms. Engineering department is asking for our favorite tracks for critical listening. Could you guys give me some songs and albums that are favorites of yours for testing sub low end and musical accuracy? Who knows, you might get to hear some of 'your' music at the next Pilgrimage, played on THX subs, the RT12d or who knows what? (important disclaimer, I'm not suggesting that we will have any of the above setup this year)

I need song name, artist, album, year of release ( label if you have it) and details as to why it would be a good audition track including any disinguishing trait for the song/album.

This list needs to be turned in by Monday 2/11 so would appreciate any input you can give. This same list will be posted in 2 channel and Home Theater Forums as we need tracks appropriate for all.

Thanks a bunch, I know I can always depend on my Forum Brothers!

Michael

Listen...

Pomp & Pipes on Reference Recordings ...track four. Enough said,ake sure your so called sub is a real one...16Hz assault with a fury uncomon... [:D] Only the Klipsch THX twins/amp can start to do this justice...start. Ok

Electronic music...Infected Mushroom. Massive deep bass lines,some tunes will make the subs drivers sweat. ...

B.P. Empire track 3 and 9

The Gathering track 1

Vicious Delicious track 4( pure genius..listen to the whole track the progression...less for deep bass and more for quality)

Marine Parade The Dogs by Bassbin Twins...most of their tracksdo not contain much in deep bass...as itsays ...bass bin twins...energy around 30Hz ...but pounding(good to demo a "sub" that cannot recah too deep).

Celldweller many good tracks Frozen and Stars of Orion among others.

Pitch Black ...Please Leave Quietly and Bird Soul

Many more those are just some...

Also...

The Dhol Foundation(Drum-Believable) ...Fistful of Dhollars (got drums...plenty) here large Klipsch driven my a real amp and with a series of subs...woha.

I might catch some flack for this - but Madonna's "Sorry" track from Confessions On A Dance Floor has some very solid and tight low end on it, as does "Push" which has some pretty interesting bassline transitions.

Almost anything from Pink Floyd's Division Bell CD has some attractive low end in it.

Musical Sub Bass Content!

Anyone familiar with Peter gabriel knows that he releases multiple versions of each song, and you know how fundamental fundamental bass is to his material, but you haven't heard bass until you've listened to the remixes on

Peter Gabriel - Digging the Remixes.

Digging in the Dirt 4m12 (ultra hot razor disc "intrest mix")

Shaking the Tree 5m59 (David Botrell remix)

Peter Gabriel - Us.

Digging in the Dirt

Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree.

Shaking the Tree

Peter Gabriel - Still Growing Up - Live and Unwrapped

I was trying to go through Still Growing Up - Live and Unwrapped to pick out a 'song(s)'. Yeah, a song... Hell, just put the DVD on and enjoy the show - provided EVERYTHING is nailed down!. And except for the pre-DSOTM, Gabriel dwarfs anything PF has ever done. And he didn't effectively retire in 1980. ;-)

Also:

Sarah McLachlan - Afterglow (I'm amazed that so many are not more familiar with her - and the prodigious amount of sub bass in her absolutely superb productions)

Perfect Girl

Time

Fallen

World on Fire

Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing

I Love You (previosly mentioned)

Sisters of Mercy - Floodland (and if you are not intimate with SOM and this album, you need to be! Vision Thing as well!) (and no one covers the Stones like Eldridge! e.g. Gimme Shelter - available on Some Girls Wander By Mistake )

This Corrosion (a Jim Steinman production)

Floodland II

Dominion/Mother Russia (another Jim Steinman production)

(Lucretia My Reflection)

Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing

When You Don't See Me

Sisters of Mercy - Some Boys Wander By Mistake (a compilation of rare singles and B-Sides... Note, this is a different release from the additional Some Girls Wander By Mistake release)

Notable versions:

Dominion/Ozymandias (rare Ozymandias mix released on single promo version 12" vinyl and CD-maxi 1988 - The primary version of this track is available as Dominion/Mother Russia at 10m55 on Floodland

{Lucretia My Reflection an amazing 9m43 alternative version to the 4m57 version on Floodland. While not a sub sub bass track, this release is a notable )

Seal - Seal (1) (I think this album along with SOM almost single-handedly defined the Euro-cave dance clubs where music was meant to be felt - it had to be as you quickly went deaf. I owe everything to earplugs!...)

Killer (mentioned earlier, but you simply can't skip this track! Tear the house down...)

Violet (for low fundmental bass)

The Beginning (primarily percussive bass, with central fundamental bass - you'll definitely have the audience dancing!)

Aren't we fortunate that excessively loud low frequencies don't damage our hearing? Yup, who cares if they contribute to upper respiratory problems? [;)]

Thanks fellas, keep em coming. Remember these tracks will be used to compare subs so we need detail detail detail. We're not just looking for big loud low bass, perhaps some Jazz recordings with intricate playing or tracks with multiple instruments in the lower registers that would shred lesser subs?

Agreed on the Cell Dweller and Pink Floyd. Many of the tracks the guys listed in the Home Theater thread are also great for bass as well.

Keep em coming, I need the list by Monday and we'll have to dig up copies of these (or samples loaned from friends) to make selections for our legal purchased copies for our test music server.

Here are some time stamps that somebody posted on AVSFORUM for Transformers. For more movies with great LFE and bass, check out this site. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

"Transformers" HD-DVD
1. Chap 2 (0:02:04) WaterFall
2. Chap 2 (0:03:51) WaterFall
3. Chap 2 (0:04:06) WaterFall
4. Chap 2 (0:04:15) WaterFall
5. Chap 5 (0:22:25) WaterFall
6. Chap 6 (0:27:45) WaterFall
7. Chap 8 (0:38:55) WaterFall
8. Chap 8 (0:39:15) WaterFall
9. Chap 8 (0:39:50 - 0:40:03) WaterFall
10. Chap 8 (0:43:00) WaterFall
11. Chap 9 (0:52:40) WaterFall
12. Chap 11 (1:03:10) WaterFall WaterFall
13. Chap 11 (1:03:50) WaterFall
14. Chap 19 (1:50:39 - 1:50:46) WaterFall
15. Chap 19 (1:55:50 - 1:56:07) WaterFall
16. Chap 20 (1:57:13) WaterFall WaterFall
17. Chap 21 (2:04:40) WaterFall
18. Chap 22 (2:11:26 - 2:11:46) WaterFall
19. More WaterFalls For Transformers

Howabout some rap/R&B? Off probably one of my favorite albums from last year, Epiphany by T-Pain. Track number 9, Put It Down. Lots of low bass, sorta explicit content(not so much bad language but more sexual inuendo type stuff). But overall its an awesome CD, all the songs have good bass, this one in particular is just awesome. I know I know, most of you guys probably don't listen to rap, though this is more on the R&B side of rap, but maybe if you gave it a chance , you might just like it...