Is There A Market For High Quality Downloads?

HatTrick66

After reading yet another post re: CD's on the way out and digital is in, I am getting concerned that we will not be able to buy high quality music. Heck, a lot of the CD's even sound like crap because they are being engineered to be ripped into MP3's. Itunes has the + option, but even that is just a little better MP3.

So, if we assume no more CD's, are there enough of us that care to create a market for high quality downloads?

I know we can continue to cling to our old favorite recordings in our old favorite formats, but how are we to discover new stuff?

What do you think?

If you haven't tryed the 24/88.2 master downloads from Linn, you haven't experienced first class digital. The Dunedin "Messiah" is in my short list of the finest technical and artistic recordings of all time.

In the gigabyte plus range, or so as I recall, so I suggest a fast connection.

Dave

Might I suggest vinyl. I don't even bother with anything else anymore. YMMV...

Mike

Your milage might vary, but my vinyl recorded to 24/88.2 and with dynamic compression restored via DBX sounds considerably better than the original. I have been doing this to vinyl since the '70's when my first act after acquiring a new LP, I would fix the dynamics with DBX and record to reel to reel. My LP stayed pristine (as many still are) and I was able to listen to something much closer to the original sound.

I say that to suggest this is not "new' technology. I am just as surprised that analog lovers can put up with the 2:1 dynamic compression unfixed as I am that people can put up with the general compression of MP3 and such...

Dave

the musicgiants is interesting. The Linn site looks awesome, I am just more of a rocker still. I think we need the quality of Linn combined with a big catalog with something for everyone?

Thanks for the direction from everyone that responded. I think sites like these at least give us hope that quality will not be completely forgotten.