Looking For Center Channel Speaker For Heresys (vI) or LaScalas

nola

Hope I posted in the right place.

As part of redoing my place in New Orleans, I am thinking of doing a 3.1 or 5.1 in the bedroom.

My main room has K horns, LaScalas, Heresys (1st version), paired subs, and Academy center. If I move LSs (which I think are too big for the bedroom) or the Heresys to the bedroom, what center channel would be best? I think another single Heresy or Academy might work. I have seen postings about the RC-7s and have heard the 62s locally.The 64s were a bit pricey. If found used and in good shape, the first 2 choices should be in the $150-350 range. The others new, close or a bit more. I would likely get a small commercial sub too. If I could fit rear speakers.....no clue yet. My BR is about 15 x 17 but entry doors, closet locs, layout make the space a real challenge as it not the typical box shape.

Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

I'm wondering if maybe use the Academy you already have in your bedroom setup, and think about an "Upgrade" for your main room. Khorns and Lascalla's have got to be overwhelming the little Academy. Once you install a similar center that better matches your mains, you'll be unable to wipe the smile off your face!!!

For a pair of La Scalas, a Heresy is a good choice for a center. When I put a Heresy II between my Scalas, the timbre match was a noticeable improvement over the previous center speaker. I had to buy a pair of Heresies to get that one, but the price was right and now I have a backup or a rear center on the shelf.

I would definitely go with a single Heresy over any of the others you mentioned as a center between two Hereseys or LS. I agreee that a heresy would be an upgrade over the Academy in your current system. There are always folks looking for a single heresy so if you have to buy a pair to get a nice one you will easily be able to sell the other if you don't want it for any reason. I needed a heresy center so I bought a pair and did some basic refinishing and sold one for what I paid for the pair.

Thanx for the advice. I clearly understand your point and could potentially use a LS as a center now, as neither is currently used. I actually have the Heresys on top of the LSs (due to space issues) and use the Heresys as my rears.

My couch is low and I spend a lot of time on the floor too.

My 20 yr old 26" Sony could not even be killed by Katrina. With a LaScala center, my TV would be too high on top of it :(

As is, the Academy's weight warps the TV top a bit. It was the best compromise I could figure out 14 yrs ago, when the LSs were my BR speakers in Phoenix.

Also, horn loaded speakers are very directional and the mid range and tweeter need to be kept near ear level. A sideways LaScala would look a bit goofy. My TV would still be higher than on it's existing stand and the LS is not shielded.

If you use a Belle or a LS center, do you put your CRT TV or Flat screen TV on top of it (again, too high for me)?