SWR-12 Shorthorns?

magnum29

No they were for home use and the precusor to the Cornwall design prior to 1959. There were a number of driver options, I think the SWR means Shorthorn Walnut Raw finish and the 12 is the driver diameter.

They look decent in the photos but the $750 still seems pricey to me but since they are somewhat rare and certainly tough to come by in a pair they are certainly worth a look.

I think you should go hear them if you can. The 12" would not be as impressive-sounding as the 15" model, but to me it had a nice naturally musical sound, and I think you'll like them. You shouldn't expect anything below 60 Hz or so, i.e., the bottom note of a cello, and the bottom half-octave of a string bass would be thin. Check to see that all 3 drivers are working on both sides, and shine a flashlight into the vertical slot in the rear so you can see what the drivers are. I would predict (this may not be certain) a bronze-pot EV T-35 tweeter, a gray bulb-shaped University SAHF mid driver, and an EV SP12B woof.

These have been listed a few times in the last couple of months. I was intrigued the first time I saw them offered but when I got researching and considering all the variables, condition, price, etc., I decided against them. I have never heard them and don't really know if they are worth the asking price or not, but something just tells me to pass. You don't see these offered up much on the auction sites or ebay. Heck maybe they are worth having.

I have bigger fish to fry, (Khorns). Someday.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...