herest crossover question

xenon

Welcome to the forum. The K-75K is the midrange from a Tangent, a Forte and early Forte-II. The K-53 is from the very late Heresy-I (84 & 85 generally), but was the standard for the Heresy-II. The K-53 was also used in the Forte but with the old 40 x 90 exponential horn. The crossover specs can be seen at the Klipsch.com web site, look in floor standing, discontinued products. Look up Forte and Heresy-II. Assuming you are going to put together an old pair of Heresy-II's, you will need the K-701 plastic midrange horn available from Klipsch parts. You will also need a K-76 tweeter and a K-24 woofer, and I think parts has them. The crossovers were "cup" mounted on the input terminal cup on the rear of the speaker. They came in two flavors... round (early H-II's through about 85-87/88, then pretty much the "square" ones. I don't know about the crossovers, but you can ask parts. If not available, you can contact Bob Crites (BEC on the forum), or post a Want to Buy in the garage sale section. They show up on ebay, but "caveat emptor".... Regardless, a set of crossovers will need new capacitors due to age. Hope that is of some assistance.

Many thanks for all the assistance But I was working on email and now the parts have finaly arrives

they I am now told these were out of Klipsch Tangent 400's. I have photos of them in the original box sent by the seller

K53H

K75 K

K24K

and i have a odd ball xover from a Heresy E 2

So the question changes a bit

IF I go with this xover is there any modiforcations required to get the correct frequeny per speaker .

Yes I know the Cap will have to be replaced thats not a problem

Could the design of the henesy closed box work well if not what size box would . or would ported be better

Being in Australia has its problems to get original as the weight to post .

and the ones that are here are either rubbish or to way over priced.

so I am making a good center speaker for my theatre .

That is I hope;)

You really need to contact BEC on the forum about the crossovers. Ask him about those drivers, in particular the K-75 tweeter, and using a Heresy type E2 crossover. That crossover was used in the last models of the H-I, with the K-24, K53 and the K-77 tweeter. Will it work with the K-75? It might work with a tap change on the crossover and a slightly different board arrangement. I'm not really sure.

The design of the Heresy cabinet certainly lends itself to simply cutting the panels yourself. Very simple design. Ported? That's, as we say, a whole new ball game.... I'd recommend that one stay away from that unless they are quite knowledgeable about driver specs, box designs, etc. Not sure about what your skill set is, so as a quick review, to do a set of Heresy cabinet panels, a motor board and a rear panel (accurately) requires a table saw, miter saw, and a router. You'll also need a stapler (the kind that shoot 1" finishing staples), woodworker glue, etc. If you need some assistance in how to do the panels, send me an email and I'll send you a procedures guide that I use when I re-do a pair of Heresy's. Hope that is of some assistance.

As Marshall stated earlier, you have pretty close to Heresy II parts there. The K75 is wrong tweeter, should be K76. You could make a cabinet with the same internal volume as a Heresy, but make it a bit longer so the horns would fit correctly. The proper way to mount the horns would be to center the tweeter over the mid, as close as possible, and center that group on the woofer.

Standard exterior dimensions (with 3/4" wood) are 23.8H x 15.5w x 13.25 d, I'm sure someone here has the construction plans to show how the panels go together if you don't already have a Heresy to use as a guide.