Onkyo TX-SR805 is one SERIOUS competitor

Montigue231

for those of you staying current in new A/V receiver technology check into this bad boy beast of a receiver. When I read the specs on this unit, I it couldnt beleive it is priced under $1100. Not only does this unit have all the latest bells and whistles, upconversions and so on. This unit has Discrete circuitry using dual push pull design which Onkyo received the THX Ultra2 certification..The amp is rated to push 4 ohm speaker loads and says it is capable of 60 amps of instantaneous current!! (Thats incredible at this price range!!!! ) Weighing in at 50lbs the amplifier section walks all over the competition,,,its a beast of beasts...The capacitors in this thing are huge...

Ive always loved the Denon receiver for its price, performance and stylish receivers, but the Onkyo is really giving all the competition a run for their money and doing it CHEAPER...........Before you go spend $1500 on a new Denon, you might want to take a gander at the TX-SR805....... I havent found one here at a local electronics store because there all sold out ..(the abselute pinnicale of value at this price point guys)......heres a link for those interested....

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/onkyo-tx-sr805

Yup, Onkyo is doing a lot of good things these days; I always wanted a an A/V receiver that I could set up in the bedroom for my wife to listen to her "soaps" through DTV, but without calling in the JPL engineering team just to interpret the instructions.... Tried the Denon last year. Never could get it to work right. Sold it. Could not afford the 805, so I got the TX-SR-705 which is pretty much identical but less power. Took me about 15 minutes to set it up, and that was not using the "Audyssey" or whatever system for auto set-up. I wanted it in straight "six channel stereo" for a variety of reasons (generally very low volumes, she wanders around the room working, reading, etc.).... and it works perfectly. My wife now has "one stop shopping" with the remote. Perfect. No drama!! She has a pair of LaScalas and a couple pairs of Cornwalls in the master bedroom. Movie time? "flip the switch" and it's surround sound city....

I have the 805 for about 9 months now & love it.

When I upgraded my HT to HD, I had originally picked up the 804, & found it to be plagued with problems. Onkyo finally replaced it with the 805, & it is a totally different beast. I even had to reinforce the shelf to hold the weight.

I also bought the 805, but I am having problems with it shutting off to excessive heat. I don't have it in a closed off place and is well ventilated. All I hear is some popping sounds and eventully turns off. What I tried was used a small portable fan to keep it cooler, but seems too loud. Does anyone else have this problem when running the 805 at normal levels?

My wife's previous Denon and the Onkyo do run "hot". Apparently it's a characteristic of the modern AVR's power transformers. I use one of my spare chassis fans that I have on my "man amps" on the Onkyo unit. It's about 5" x 5" and has a variable speed fan. When the amp turns on, so does the fan. Withouth the fan, the right side rear gets pretty hot. With the fan, the temp on the chassis cover is now about 88-90 degrees. I've had the 705 for a month and it's "on" continously either DTV when my wife's at home, or during the day with FM radio playing. No problems so far. I know many folks on the forum don't like eBay, but this gentleman's fans are reliable and fairly priced. I've purchased a number of them and have never had one malfunction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-RECEIVER-AMP-120mm-Mega-fan-cooling-system_W0QQitemZ360024397142QQihZ023QQcategoryZ61395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem