Sealing a speaker box?

Wrench722

There are many reasons to seal a box, even the best sealed boxes will exhibit small losses through the screws, etc. As long as there are not major losses ( IE:open seam ) there will be no problems. Vented boxes also require sealing. MDF does absorb water, so some people like to seal it.

If I build a vented box, I will at least prime the inside of the box, as I don't care for the smell from a MDF box when in operation at high drive levels over extended periods.

I don't seal any of the cabs I make, but I've had to seal some of the Heritage cabs I've run across over the years. The Heresy I cabs in particular seem to have motorboards that are stapled in place often with little or no glue....a lot of them can easily be pulled right out of the cabinet.

I just make sure I put a nice bead of wood glue on the boards I'm joining together. After they're screwed together, I'll run my finger down the excess glue that squeezed out to make a nice seal. After the glue dries, it shrinks some and I'll have to add a little here or there to make sure I have a complete air tight seal. It's a must to have the cabinet completely air tight, be it a sealed or ported cabinet. I use to silicone, but have found that wood glue alone does the job just fine.

Totally agree with SB on using glue. And SF's comments about the H-I cabinets are so very accurate. The H-I cabinets, when finally sealed, show a general (if not dramatic) improvement. On screws... A dab of GE silicone in the screw hole generally will take care of any problems. It is removable and will usually come out the first time the screw is removed.