Wide room with Khorns or skinny room with Lascalas

chambers1517

I am really struggling with my room design. I have it framed 21'wide x 28' long. I have been using my projector on the weekends in the living room. I have a 120' fixed frame screen that we set on two end tables to watch movies. The room is 15' wide and I have my Khorns in the corners on each side of the screen. The screen is about 1' in from each speaker. I took the screen down to the theater to see how it would look and it looks so much smaller down there than it does in the living room. I know the Khorns will sound better in this room but my image will seem smaller. I can narrow the room to improve the percieved screen size but it will be to the detrement of sound. I am building a false wall at the front of the room to put my center Lascala into. It will take about 3' of the length. I could also put the Lascalas I was going to use as surrounds into this wall and have 3 front Lascalas. I would then use the Khorns in the rear. I also hate the idea of using Khorns as surrounds because I love the way they sound and can only imagine how they would sound in a proper room. Which would make my screen seem small. Around and around it goes and I don't know where to stop it.Oh yeah I can't use a bigger screen, 120' Is the largest that will fit above my center Lascala and the ceiling.My wife says once the theater is done the Khorns are out of the living room, HELP!!!

You mention several times that you are worried about the "screen seeming small".

It doesn't matter how large or small it seems relative to the size of the room. The screen is the same size, and you watch the screen - well, that has always been the approach that I have taken...[;)]

The effective size of the screen is determined by your distance relative to it when you view it - NOT the room dimensions.

I'm not really sure what the crisis is.

Use the KHorms for LR front mains and a LaScala for the center. With the size of the room it won't matter significantly which way you orient the room. I would consider where the doors, closets, etc. are located as a determinant factor (I assume the ceiling is flat.). Interior wall treatment and symmetry will determine the imaging and soundstage - and I would tend to place the speakers on the wall where you have the greatest LR symmetry.

With the available space i would also splay the side walls by buidling interior walls (which will also help minimize transmission to the rest of the house). They will also help break up the room modes that will be a problem as the room is an even multiple of 7. But I would not waste 3 foot of a wall to simply enclose a LaScala. That would be a waste of space.

Either wall is PLENTY for KHorns. And the notion that either would be better simply based upon their length is not correct - as both are adequately long. And again, to repeat what I stated above, the imaging and sound stage is created by the symmetry and tuning of the reflected sound within the room - in other words, by the room treatment...not by the spacing of the speakers (assuming they have adequate spacing to allow listening outside of the speakers' near field - which you have)

Placement on the 21' foot wall would also allow for greater surround sound configuration for an extra row of seating while keeping the seating toward the sweet spot of the room rather than the seating being offset to the side where the greater proximity to a L/R source and the resulting precedence of the source will diminish the image.

If you can post a detailed diagram of the room, we may be able to make more suggestions per any room anomalies that may exist..

Go wide with the Khorns in front. The room I reinforced for viewing/listening is just under 14' W x 25' L. I had the Khorns in front, with a LaS center, surrounds, and rear center. My 92" screen fit well on that front wall, just above the center LaS. I have moved next door, and the Khorns are 24' apart. Wider is definitely better sound. Unfortunately, I'm out of $ to finish the upstairs and enclose the carport, which are my options for HT, but it will be LaS front & rear with a recently purchased Heracy center. Go wide with the Khorns as mains.

SSH

Not that you can't go wrong with big ole Klipsch

The ideal K horn room* for stereo is 18- 24 feet wide... ( * you can disagree it is ok.... but it is....LOL)

Much less than that (unless you can get close up / don't mind being close, in a smaller space they can't breathe... Much more...and it is just too wide.. Sure it fills the room, but it is just too far apart..) Yes, I know you can use a La Scala center...

La Scala's are not as important to how far wide... You can bring em out into the room some.. put em in a corner..(Which will help the bass some) If this is for HT, add a great sub, and be in heaven!

Do the 3 La Scala's as fronts.. with a sub(s) . DO NOT USE THE K horns for surrounds..that is a total waste. Get some " Hersey's" cheap and be happy!

That said.. Use the 2 K horns as fronts.. a La Scala underneath.. would be heaven!

I'd try to FIND a way to use the Khorns if at all possible. I agree with MAS (cough, gack, sputter) when he suggests you shouldn't worry about the apparent screen size when in the larger space. Perhaps it's TOO big where it currently is?? [6]

I'm certainly no expert but I'd be happy to stop by & give an outsiders opinion.

I'd try to FIND a way to use the Khorns if at all possible. I agree with MAS (cough, gack, sputter) when he suggests you shouldn't worry about the apparent screen size when in the larger space. Perhaps it's TOO big where it currently is?? Devil

I'm certainly no expert but I'd be happy to stop by & give an outsiders opinion.

Coytee is clueless!

Richard, how's that? That should restore your reputation! [;)]

Despite what people think.... depending on where you do sit...It can be too big, AND uncomfortable to take the whole screen in..

I am 16 feet back and 106" is pretty good. Much larger than that, and I could not take it all in.

You are right!

In the size room he is talking about, he will have plenty of room to adjust the seating relative to the screen so as to effectively optimize the screen size.- larger or smaller. Orienting the speakers along the shorter 21 foot wall will provide the most latitude in this regard while providing plenty of width for proper imaging and sufficient depth to orient surround speakers for maximum effectiveness for all seats while minimizing the destructive results associated by sitting to one side or the other of the center sweet spot where the proximity effects of the source destroys proper imaging, resulting in significant image shift and the masking of other channels..

Splayed walls will also help significantly woith distributing and minimizing the min/max of the room's resonant modes.

This is a nice space to work with.