shipping

Mattevt

Shipping speakers does require careful packing to survive the dhl, ups, or fedex gorillas. Standard packing should protect contents in a five foot drop, which will probably happen as it's common for packages to fall off the conveyors which are moving fast.

When I ship speakers I use the 4x8 sheets of 1" styrofoam to cut into the appropriate size pieces to pack between the speaker and the box. The speaker is first wrapped in plastic, garbage bag is handy to protect it from being scratched in shipment. I've also seen some inexplicable wet boxes upon arrival.

If you can find thicker foam sheets great. I usually can't find them though and use layers of the foam combined to create a thickness of 2" as a minimum. The factory packing is probably 3" on the corners.

Make sure your box uses a robust cardboard, there's some thin worthless stuff out there. The 3.5's are pretty tall and it might be a challenge to find a box tall enough. They can be kind of pricey, but I have at times used a Uhaul dish pack or short wardrobe box. They are heavy as heck. I have also double boxed to achieve a robust carton with lesser cardboard stock. I have also at times cut down a box to fit the item with packing material. That clear packing tape can strap up to be pretty secure.

Oh, yeh. make sure you have the right amount of insurance in case of damage or loss. If it breaks the first thing UPS will do is deny the claim because you didn't pack it right. Also, in case of loss, you will have to document the value of the items.

100% concur with Dee. I always:

• NEW double box (slide one into the other)
  • NEW foam board, minimum of 2" all way round
  • date/time stamped photographs and a complete description
  • insured for the fair market value, e.g. rebuilt/ refinished to mint condition Heresy's = $540

I'm fortunate in that the owner of the UPS Store is a friend of mine. I use their boxes, I supply the foam board, and they pack them and seal them to my specs. And because they "pack" them, a claim is not an issue. I have only ever had one "incident" where UPS dropped a Heresy-II, and the impact caused one of the midrange horn assembly's to crack at the flange. I had the money "in my hand" in about 10 days. They had to re-imburse me for 2 K-53/701's (must be a matched pair...).