Sumo Nine: Thoughts

PrestonTom

There is a Sumo Nine (not the plus version) advertised on A'Gon for $300 (something).

Has anybody used this on Klpsch Heritage?

The amp is class A and has ample power. It was designed by reputable engineer, but they are getting a bit older now (probably built in the early 1980s).. So it might need some fresh caps etc. I have no idea whether the output devices are available or would require matching.

I bring up the issue since the price is cheap and I once heard these with some Altec speakers. The sound was quite good, especially the lower octaves.

Thoughts?

-Tom

Mark: You have a better memory than I do. I can never remember how to spell his name. He was certainly involved with a number of great amps.

The price is right, but I do not have a good sense on how aggressive one should be when re-freshing an older amp. It could be a fun project for someone.

Sadly, my garage is currently filled with an incomplete speaker building project. Most folks in New England would like to park their cars in a garage during the Winter. However, I prefer the idea of power tools and plywood all over the place instead.

-Tom

I have the Sumo Electra pre-amp, which JB designed, and the Sumo Polaris power amp, which he didn't. The Polaris is an FET Class AB amp. I used it on my Corn IIs briefly, and I liked the combination. My HT system now uses a Yammie HT receiver. I still use the Electra & Polaris connected to the system in my study, driving Dahlquist DQ-10s.

BTW there is a Yahoo group for these amps, I think is called the SAE group, since JB worked for them for a while. JB is good to answer questions posed there.

Yes, those are interesting combinations. Of course, the Dahlquist will present a very different kind of load to an amp then the Klipsch Heritage and the Polaris is a different topology then the Sumo. Sometimes there are certain combinations of amps and speakers that are just the perfect mix.

I had forgotten about the SAEs. Apparently some of those sounded very good ( I never had a chance to listen to any of them however).

-Tom

The Sumo 9 sounds pretty good for an amplifier based on a not-so-hot opamp (LF353).

They used so-so caps and could stand a real upgrade.

If you break one you are kind of SOL, as they require a matched set of ten output transistors (per channel) that are no longer available and have no substitute.

Having said all that it is a real good sounding amp on Klipsch (I was a Klipsch and Sumo dealer), I also own a Sumo 9.

The Sumo 9+ was a newer model with different outputs (still available), but not designed by Bongiorno.

I've seen them sell with box and owner's manual on eBay for $500 in mint shape.