Projector Screen Gain

taylor99ss

So I went "shopping" for a projector and screen this weekend. I stopped into a local HT shop and viewed several options. I think I have decided on the Sony VPLVW60 projector. It has received amazing reviews and Looks great! The only question I have is what screen to get. I saw the 15K Sony projector on a 6:1 gain screen and was floored. I've never seen anything like it, i was sold on the high gain screen. Then i went online and started researching. Most of what i read said that high gain screens are not necessarily a good thing for a HT, for various reasons. I am querying the board to see if anyone has any first hand experience (like, in your home) with high gain screens. What are your thoughts/opinions/reviews etc.

Thanks

I think the best way to go is to decide on a projector, buy it and set it up. Next get ahold of the screen companies and ask them for samples. I got 3-4 from both Stewart and Carda. Put them all up on your viewing wall move them around to several location so you can check out the whites, blacks, skin tones, etc. Pick what you like best. I was more then willing to drop what ever $$$ necessary to get the screen I wanted. I was shocked that I like Carada's brilliant white the best. If I had gone by reviews, other post on web sites or the like I probably would have paid twice as much for a Stewart Grayhawk. I really did not like the gray screens as much no matter who makes them.

Give Carada a look http://www.carada.com/ Very easy to deal with, shipped out my samples super fast and they were big samples. so you really get an idea of what it will look like.

Final advice get a 2.35:1 screen NOT 1.78:1 Check this out http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/50473/479768.aspx#479768 man, I can't believe it is going on 4 years since I started this odyssey[:D]

There are some factors to take into account when you look at overall gain. How large of a screen? How is the black level of the projector being used? The VW60 is not noted for being overly bright. It is supposed to have a very good black level. So on a larger screen 110"+ you would want to go for a fairly high gain screen. I've never seen anything near 6:1 (1.6:1 perhaps), but with a large screen you would want to look at something like a Carada Brillant White, Stewart Ultra Matte or something similar (~1.5 gain). For a smaller screen 100" or less you can get away with a more modest gain (~1.2). High gain screens have a lot of "pop", but keep in mind that an overly bright image will become fatiguing with extended viewing.

Personally if you can afford it, I would seriously look at an anamorphic lens and a 2.35:1 scope screen. If the darn lenses weren't so expensive I'd have one myself.

Your doing it right.... at least you picked the projector first...

Ask your dealer first, he I am sure has done this setup a time or two..LOL

I would also call Day lite, Stewart, Carada and ask them for their suggestions with your projector.

Day lite has a great site.. (It also has a guide to how far back to set the projector to the screen for optimal picture quality. They had great phone customer service at the time I chose my projector, and as I described my room light wise and size wanted... they had 2-3 suggestions. I will say it is VERY important to match it correct to your projector.. Not just something you can slap up!

That said... if you watch broadcast HDTV or TV as well as movies 16x9 is great!

If this is dedicated for movies then 2.35.1 is prefered. If you have a screen 106" or bigger... Who cares!! LOL.. It all looks great!

"Personally if you can afford it, I would seriously look at an
anamorphic lens and a 2.35:1 scope screen. If the darn lenses weren't
so expensive I'd have one myself."
hehehehe

Runco has a projector and lens shift combo, it is amazing.. at about 47k too! Is it awesome jaw dropping incredible? YES, it is.. But it should be at almost 50k.. LOL