What's the deal with the missing phono pre-amp?

Anult

OK - so last night I move my turntable from my circa 1993 Sony all-in-one home theatre processor (that rocked many halloween parties in the 90's) to my 1996 Krell KAV 300i and notice there is no phono input. So, as many have done before me, I just hook it up to one of the aux jacks, ground it to my power conditioner, and pop on Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" (my 17 year-old daughter's favorite - go figure...) and I have to crank it up half-way just to hear anything.

Ok, so I'm the last guy on this forum to find out that phono jacks provide extra amplification, and am proving to be somewhat of a greenhorn, but now what do I do? Every Phono pre-amp that I can find either looks like a 9th grade soldering shop kit, or runs $3K and up.

What do I do????

Please help Klipsch Forum Gods....you're my only hope.....

Dirck

OK - so last night I move my turntable from my circa 1993 Sony all-in-one home theatre processor (that rocked many halloween parties in the 90's) to my 1996 Krell KAV 300i and notice there is no phono input. So, as many have done before me, I just hook it up to one of the aux jacks, ground it to my power conditioner, and pop on Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" (my 17 year-old daughter's favorite - go figure...) and I have to crank it up half-way just to hear anything.

Ok, so I'm the last guy on this forum to find out that phono jacks provide extra amplification, and am proving to be somewhat of a greenhorn, but now what do I do? Every Phono pre-amp that I can find either looks like a 9th grade soldering shop kit, or runs $3K and up.

What do I do????

Please help Klipsch Forum Gods....you're my only hope.....

Dirck

We all started out as greenhorns.

Welcome

Feel free to ask any question that is welll defined.

Not only does the phono preamp or "section" amplify but as important it has an engineered "equaliztion curve" designed in. SOmetimes called an RIAA curve. LPs cannot handle all frequncies of music at the same "gain" so the curve concept is necessary and has been in phono since before my birth.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps

These guys are reputable and have good stuff for less than $ 200.

Bellari tube phono pre at $ 250 sounds darn nice!

Good Luck

Rick